3 HP prop for johnson diassembly?

TFO

Cadet
Have a new prop 8x5.5 Part Number 315858 with no clutch ring, clutch hub or clutch bushing.<br /><br /><br />A question before I start: <br /><br />Can the missing parts be moved from my existing 8x4.5 prop without being destroyed in the process? What keeps the pieces in place?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 3 HP prop for johnson diassembly?

That's good news, I think the 5.5 will be a lot better on your boat in light of your last post. I wasn't sure the motor was on a 5m craft and you were pushing against displacement speed.<br />Everything should be transferrable from your elk towing prop. Just remove the rubber cone, cotter pin, prop nut and thrust washer, and pull the prop off. If the clutch and ring stay stuck in the propeller, just reach in and pull them out. There's nothing really holding them in there. Then just set them into the 5.5". If they're stuck, try a little light oil to lubricate the clutch ring.<br /><br />The whole works is held in place by the drive pin and the prop nut, so don't forget to get a new cotter pin for the prop nut.

TFO

Cadet
Re: 3 HP prop for johnson diassembly?

Got it! It's the washer behind the prop nut that keeps it all together. All inner parts will, with a little help, "fall out" of the prop when off the shaft.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />A report from the test drive will follow.

Prop disassembly:
prop_disass.jpg

The black 8x5.5" propeller has now been tested. The speed of the boat increased and the max RPM lowered as wanted:
johnson63proptest.jpg

Last edited: