prop size 60 yam

malagaoth

Seaman
is the size of yam props printed on the prop? if so where, if not how do i know the size?

Jammu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: prop size 60 yam

Is it a 2- or 4-stroke ??<br />G or K prop shaft ??

malagaoth

Seaman

oh! it is a 2stroke (3cyl) 15 spline which makes it post 91 i think, but don't know by how much. i have not got the engine or its details to hand i just thought (hoped) that the prop size would be stamped on the prop somewhere, otherwise how do i tell what pitch it is?

rfelk

Cadet

Mine is printed on the shaft side. Pull yours off and look, I am sure you will see it. Mine is also on the back side of one prop blade.

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

it differs a little between props, some is printed on one blade , some in the hub. The markings also differs , e.g. from full "3x13.25x19K" to just "17K" <br />The letter designates the prop shaft and hub size.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Prop topic

malagaoth

Seaman

i've checked the prop and there appear to be no markings on either hub or blades, it is possible that this is a replacement prop - i bought the prop used, surely markings on the shaft would not reflect the prop the size, any prop could have been fitted after manufacture.<br />so is there any other way to find the pitch of this prop i know that it is too big but if i do not know what size it is that does not help me much.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you have propshops where you are Gary?<br /><br />If you do, there's your answer. Take the prop to the shop - they'll measure its pitch and tell you. The diameter you can easily measure yourself of course.

malagaoth

Seaman

prop shop? i asked at my local yamaha dealer for advice as to what size of prop to use on my semidisplacement boat he looked at me like i was from mars and muttered something about "usually the standard one"! props here are quite expensive here, about twice the price of in the usa, so even with carrage it might be cheaper to buy one there so it absolutly has to be the right one.

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, what boat do you have, size, weight, hull shape, speed etc, so maybe we can suggest a prop for you. <br />The "standard" prop for a 60HP Yamaha sold around here is a 13.25x17", suitable for a 16-17 foot boat going around 32-35mph.

malagaoth

Seaman

my boat is a 20ft stewart-stevens (what do you mean you've never heard of them? - neither has any one else!) it is semidislacement and at the moment with the unknown prop it does 12-15mph (gps) i've no tach but the speed difference between 3/4 and full throttle is negliable (just more noise more fuel). i was thinking of perhaps 13X14 or 13X15 i know that this boat will never fly but would like to see 15-20 rather than 12-15mph do you think that this is realistic with this engine? i was thinking of moving down to a smaller engine and just keeping to displacement speeds a whole heap cheaper fuel wise and not a lot slower at the moment - my 5hp gets me 6mph on a calm day although i realise that this is just too small!

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With a semi-displacement hull, you need a whole heap more horsepower to creep up the speed scale. And even then, you're not going to leave your exhaust fumes behind! I thought Stewart Stevens hulls (fisher, with forward cabin?) were much faster than that?<br /><br />With fuel the way it's going, and will probably continue to go, your last comment makes a lot of sense - run at displacement speeds, even with a smaller motor.<br /><br />Bear in mind that if you're out of pocket trading down to a smaller motor, this needs to be offset against any fuel savings.<br /><br />Or change the boat.

malagaoth

Seaman

MY GOD YOU'VE HEARD OF A STEWART-STEVENS FAST FISHER!!! this boat weighs in at about a ton (1000kg)so as i have said it is never going to fly. the engine needs a good deal of work which i am not capable of doing so either way keeping it and repairing it or trading up is going to cost me.<br />just to go off topic slightly dont suppose you know where i can find out about this manufacturer?

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd think a 14X11" or maybe a 13 3/4x13" might work for you.

malagaoth

Seaman

OK heres an up date, after removing many layers of paint A26 1 or possibly A28 1 has appeared stamped on the hub of the prop there are also much smaller letters stamped on it but even with a magnifying lens i can't read these has any one any idea what A26 1 means?

malagaoth

Seaman

after much polishing i think that the small lettering mentioned above might be 002w this seems to be stamped on the base of each blade, also, best i can measure it this is a 121/2inch prop isn't this an odd size?