RPM question

crankit

Cadet
I have a 1994 Champion 180 with a 175 Johnson Faststrike. My prop is a 4 blade 25 pitch Shooter. Should this motor be able to turn this prop 5600 rpms? I seem to only be able to get about 5200 out of it fully trimmed. Motor does not sound like it is lugging. Motor was rebuilt recently and wondering if it is a motor issue or prop pitch issue? Seems like the last inch of throttle does nothing. Compression is good on all cylinders.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Crankit

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: RPM question

Are you on a jackplate???<br />Is this the same prop used before the rebuild???

crankit

Cadet

No jackplate, same prop. Motor was just re-jetted and rpms seem to be doing a little better. Had it to 55 mph gps, kids in the boat so I stopped there. Tach was acting up a little so I could not get an accurate read. Probably could have gotten a little more out of her. Have a hot foot and the last inch of throttle still seems to do nothing. Previous owner said it would do about 60-63. Not sure if he was talking gps speed. I think it is OK now.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Crankit

walleyehed

Admiral

If you ever feel the need to see what that boat really has, drop the shooter and stick a 2+2 OT Turbo in a 25P on there...<br />A Mazco H.P.4 14X25 might show you the old technology of the shooter too.

crankit

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I've heard that the Shooters are not that great before. Where can you get the props you recommended?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Crankit