Keep spinning prop hubs need some ideas!

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Keep spinning prop hubs need some ideas!

I'll have to check the forward thrust washer fit. I can see that it spaces the prop out from the gearcase, but as far a accurately centering the prop on the shaft, that is something I'll have to check when I get it back from the shop........... a couple of days.<br /><br />XcellR8, if you pull the torque tab completely, you will see the exit in the top of the casting. Interesting little feature............

jk1162

Seaman

is the front prop washer fitting properly on the prop

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Had the re-pressed prop out for the week and what do you know? Dang thing held up! Got another week of heavy use coming up and we'll see then what the final outcome is. <br /><br />I did make one change to the setup. I returned the torque tab to it's original position. I can't believe that had anything to do with my problems, but that was the only thing that had changed when I started having trouble. One dopey marks worth, just to try to eliminate a bit of starboard pull....... Is this possible or simply coincidental?<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />/mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to the new Props forum.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Props on large engines have a lot of torque and rubber just doesn't hold up with a lot of the powerful engines these days. For that reason manufacturers have been moving away from rubber and to other, stronger poly-type materials.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you cut into the front of the trim tab, you cut into the water passage, which will reduce the water flow. Reduced water flow, strong running engine==burnt prop hub.