Keep spinning prop hubs need some ideas!

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all......... Got a real problem child here. The prop is a 13.5x22 Raker SS and goes on a '94 120 V-4 Johnson. This rig was new to me last spring and had it about four months and spun the hub. Didn't think much of it, Old rubber, seldom used, sat out alot........... OK. <br /><br />Had a new hub pressed, lasted two days. Next one barely went three hours. Just spun #3 yesterday. Aughhhhhhh! Followed Walleyehed's hub "break in" advice for most of Day One and on Day Two, the second time I put 'er up on plane............ well you know the sound.<br /><br />Thing is I have a spare prop, slightly smaller, 13 1/8x21 and different design, a Ballistic. Now this is fine for a spare, but I really prefer the performance of the Raker prop on this boat. I have never had any problem with the other prop. <br /><br />I gotta think that the problem is with how each prop fits up against that thrust bushing. If I remove the bushing from the prop shaft and fit it onto each prop, it will fit and spin freely on the Ballistic (I think it rides on the outside of the hub) wheras on the Raker it fits, but will not rotate easily, almost as if it is in contact with the rubber. Is this my problem perhaps or do I need to look elsewhere. <br /><br />I am going to have another hub pressed tomorrow and as I have a huge week of tournament fishing coming up, I would like everything to be ship shape. I just hate running that much slower spare when I know what the rig will do with the other... Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks..............<br /><br />/mike

BillP

Captain
Re: Keep spinning prop hubs need some ideas!

Couple of reasons:<br />1. hitting something<br />2. wrong size or type rubber hub<br />3. incorrect rehubbing procedure<br /><br />The only time I've seen this happen was when the wrong hub was used. Call the prop mfg and ask what they think.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would believe that if it don't happen w/ other props just the raker, & it don't feel right w/ the thrust washer in place, the thrust washer is bindind it up. As a start I would bring the washer to the prop shop w/ the prop, & let them have a look, maybe there is a special washer for that combo. Good Luck, Joe

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is possible for that hub/motor try switching to a square drive hub. If you ever spin these type you can just rekit it yourself for about $50-$60 includes everything to go on the prop and propshaft.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

See, that's just the thing........... I KNOW I don't hit anything. Nothing solid, no heavy weeds, no sand, so it's not that. I'm on my second prop shop, as I didn't trust the first guy after two trips there. The new guy came VERY highly recommended and seems to know his stuff. <br /><br />And yes, tomorrow I will present both props, thrust bushing and the motor so he can see what he's up against. I expect this may turn out to be one of those oddball things that only happens to me..............<br /><br />/mike

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have had good luck with Luft's prop Repair in Red Granite if you are near there.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike,<br /><br />As I see it, there can only be two possible reasons for this problem.<br /><br />Either the prop shop is doing a lousy job - so change the prop shop.<br /><br />Or this particular prop is not bedding right on your shaft, as Perfidiajoe says. <br /><br />I go for the second reason, because your other prop works OK, huh? Why not trailer the whole rig to the prop shop and let them rehub and then fit the prop?

BillP

Captain

They could shave a little off the a face of the rubber hub to make it clear but sounds to me like the wrong hub is being used.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It wont matter if the thrust washer touches the rubber or not. They all move together. Hopefully.<br /><br />Are you running the trim (torque) tab above the prop?

walleyehed

Admiral

Just to throw some humor in...it's good to hear the Ballistic will "move" the boat in the correct direction...that's a plus!!<br />BTW, the thrust washer is the std OMC for both of those props, and some do fit tighter than others, but I think they center better that way..<br />Sorry to hear of your troubles, Mike....I've never had a new one spin...???

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Me again.......... had a talk with the prop shop. Moe said that sometimes there are just some bad combinations, stuff that just doesn't want to hold a hub due to............ whatever. Maybe that's just his out, don't know, didn't really have anything specific to say. I DO know that I drive the boat more agressively than the previous owner. I like to get 'er up on plane and some of my cornering pulls some near serious G's. Sure do like the way that Raker grips the water..... The Ballistic's quite a bit more "skittish". <br /><br />Dhadley, yup torque tab is there, but adjusted all the way to the starboard side. That have any bearing on my troubles? <br /><br />I'm going to try one more hub anyway. If I tear up another, I'll just blow out the Raker and look for something else. And yes, interestingly enough, I did see the last two hubs and the rubber is broke, so I think that it was probably installed properly.<br /><br />Walleyehed, yeah, the Ballistic works, but I know I could do a lot better performance-wise, but the price was right for a "spare". So...you seem to be a prop whiz here(I moused a bit ;) ), any recommendations for my Raker like performance in another product. Anyone else's advice for alternatives is also welcome. Like to do it without dipping too far into the "slush fund", but what the heck, I gotta go, don't I?<br /><br />Thanks for all the advice!<br /><br />/mike

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Just a thought - Ask the shop to carefully check the hub for cracks. I took a SS prop in for a rehub a couple of years ago and they called me and told me that the hub was cracked due to a manufacturing defect and a rehub would not hold. The manufacturer replaced the prop.

King P.V.

Seaman

Here's something to check. Most of the larger OMC engines had a small hole in the leading edge of the trim tab. 1) make sure yours does. This hole diverts water up into the gear housing and back around to spray cooling water(ok, just water) directly into the exhust so it can...... cool the prop hub! 2) Also make sure that the small anode located above the cavitation plate is installed with the correct bolt. If the anode and it's bolt are missing, the water willnot be directed into the exhust/prop hub area. And additionally, if you don't have the anode in it's place but do have a bolt in, that bolt will be too long and block off the water passage. So... I can't remember which year OR horsepower motors needed the "vented" trim/steering tab, but, it was there for the reasons I've given! Check the above info, perhaps it will help!

walleyehed

Admiral

The closest I know of is a Turbo Lightning, but it's for V6's only right now I believe.<br />The Turbo1 is an excellent prop, but is in 21P or 23P for 13 spline shafts. A 21P "worked" a tad would be a good prop with good numbers. If you don't like the turbo, sell it and get another Raker...I don't think you will want to get rid of it once you try it. I had a 24P MWC EdgeII that gives about the same numbers as a 22 Raker, but I sold it...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The little tab above the prop has a passage to provide cooling water into the exhaust to help cool the hub. If its there and the passage is cool we should be OK on that point.<br /><br />Rakers are excellent props and unless the hub is cracked as SoLittle mentioned, or otherwise out of spec, it should hold.<br /><br />Turbo make a "Lightning Jr" thats comparable to the Raker. It also has a 13 1/2" diameter. Neat deals.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled the torque tab and verified that the passage was indeed clear. No problem there. <br /><br />I would think that a cracked prop hub would allow the rubber to spin free of the prop without shearing the middle of the rubber itself as I have been experiencing. Got to think that it's something really odd.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Something came up that made me think of something about the hardware youre using. The forward thrust washer -- does it center the prop or only space it out from the gearcase?

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> The little tab above the prop has a passage to provide cooling water into the exhaust to help cool the hub. If its there and the passage is cool we should be OK on that point.<br /><br />Rakers are excellent props and unless the hub is cracked as SoLittle mentioned, or otherwise out of spec, it should hold.<br /><br />Turbo make a "Lightning Jr" thats comparable to the Raker. It also has a 13 1/2" diameter. Neat deals.
I'm a bit confused as to which hole you are referring to? Are you talking about a hole in the trim tab? Is this only on OMC or all outboards?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

E/J's have it. Most Mercs dont. Its alittle hole in the torque tab that picks up water and sends it back into the exhaust.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> E/J's have it. Most Mercs dont. Its alittle hole in the torque tab that picks up water and sends it back into the exhaust.
If I recall correctly when I cut a notch out of my trim tab to allow for more prop clearance there was a small hole in the leading edge of the casting which I assumed was just a casting flaw (I don't recall seeing an exit hole).<br /><br />Cutting the notch out would have made this hole larger, is that an issue?