Prop Questions...

ScCoghill

Cadet
I have a 2000 1/2 Maxum 2300 SR (23 ft) that had a 250 HP 2bbl carb motor. It ran about 48 mph at 4800 rpm with some throttle left. The prop was the original 14x19 merc stainless three blade prop. The motor cracked over the winter. Dumb owner forgot to drain motor! Anyways I am replacing the motor now with a 290 HP at the foot 4bbl 5.7l motor. Any suggestions on the prop? Some have suggested a 14.25 x 21 three blade and others say a 4 blade. What is normally best? This boat is fairly heavy and isn't used to ski or pull many toys. We use it to cruise with from Charleston to Beaufort mostly at about a 32 to 35 mph cruise. The new motor manual says to not exceed 4800 rpm. any comments will be appreciated...

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Prop Questions...

"It ran about 48 mph at 4800 rpm with some throttle left."<br /> A little high rpm's. You probably could have gone up a 21.<br />"Some have suggested a 14.25 x 21 three blade"<br /> That would be a good start if not the best thing to do is try what you have and go form there. <br />"three blade and others say a 4 blade."<br /> Three for top end, four for hole shot<br />" The new motor manual says to not exceed 4800 rpm" <br />That should be your WOT (wide open throttle).<br />Last I think having a SS prop is like have a higher pitch prop because it doesn't flex like a aluminum one will. So a 21 pitch in aluminum and a 21 pitch stainless steel prop may act totally different on the same boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

Scott, F gave you some good advice.<br />While I don't know all the info you provide to be accurate, just judging from the size of your boat, the type of hulls that Maxum uses, and the assumed power of the new engine a 21 pitch 3 blade stainless would be a good place to start. Do you have one handy to try out, before you go & buy one?<br />Also, the four blade would help plane the boat quicker, and should help hold plane at lower speeds than the 3 blade. Not sure if they provide any advantage once at the cruising speeds that you speak of.

walleyehed

Admiral

"IF" you knew the tach was right, would help..<br />Make sure and check it against another known good tach

ScCoghill

Cadet

All good points...I will borrow a 21 PITCH 3 BLADE STAINLESS. and check the tach. Walleyed...in your opinion, who makes the best prop within a decent budget for this boat?

walleyehed

Admiral

You get what you pay for in most cases with SS.<br />The Mirage plus by Merc is a good prop for a heavy Stern-drive, but not cheap.<br />The Turbo Vector may be a good one, possibly the best choice over-all.<br />There are still some good props out there, but each will react differently on each boat<br />Solas has one called the Lexor for your application, but I've yet to test one to get any Data on what it compares to.<br />MWC has the Rapture XHS for your rig, but expect nothing but standard performance slightly better than aluminum on that one....you may even be a good candidate for a Turbo 4-blade (sterndrive model).<br />To be honest, when you test run with the borrowed prop, list the make and size and the numbers you come up with on the test run and that will give us alot better Idea as to your needs and which way to go.<br />Which drive do you have????Alpha, Bravo, ect....

ScCoghill

Cadet

It is a alpha 1 Gen 2. Thanks for your input...we will get the boat back this week and I am resdy to start testing...

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would try a Solas Amita 14X21 four blade, smoother than a three blade and better cruise speed at lower RPM's. My glastron 195 SX runs around 42 MPH at 3200RPM (5.0 V-8 220 HP)and its pretty cheap, around $130 delivered.

walleyehed

Admiral

Solas Amita, cheap, yes, fast....No..<br />The 3-Blade Turbo will run a better cruise speed too. The Amita is a standard prop. It doesn't have near the technology of a Turbo. The Turbo is more money, but as I said, ya get what you pay for, and, ya don't know till ya run it, so test away, boys! Might as well throw a Ballistic in there just so you know what not to run...just another excuse to run the boat! :D

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about Hill marine props? Ive been thinking of getting their signature SS 4 blade in 14X20, because my Solas 14X21 AL only turns 4200rpm, I tried a Mich. Vortech 14X20 4 blade AL and that over reved. I tried a Mich. Rapture SS 3blade and really didnt see much improvment, better hole shot with the vent plugs out, but with all the props, my top speed really stayed the same(53/ 54mph) just my rpm's got higher or lower. I read about some people running 50+ mph with 4.3's in 18 footer's, I was hoping to see 60 with my 5.0

ScCoghill

Cadet

putting that extra weight in the back can obviously hurt top end. Also, the hull, especially on my maxum just won't run much faster. If mph top end isn't changing, then I guess you'd rather have the lower rpms to save gas. My boat is done and I pickup tomorrow and the break in begins. As does the drain on my wallet for the motor and repairs (labor) Anyone got opinions on marine batteries? I figured I'd change them out while the back of boat is out. The Interstate's have been in the boat for 5 years now and I think that is stretching them a bit...

walleyehed

Admiral

5 yrs is a long time....might get left in the middle of the lake when you least expect it...I'd change'em out.<br /><br />Ramster, Hill has some good props out, I just wonder about getting them fine-tuned for a stern drive application. Mr Hill has been known for years for high performance props, but I don't think the same quality control is in place that used to be.

vettman

Seaman

Originally posted by ramster:<br /> How about Hill marine props? Ive been thinking of getting their signature SS 4 blade in 14X20, because my Solas 14X21 AL only turns 4200rpm, I tried a Mich. Vortech 14X20 4 blade AL and that over reved. I tried a Mich. Rapture SS 3blade and really didnt see much improvment, better hole shot with the vent plugs out, but with all the props, my top speed really stayed the same(53/ 54mph) just my rpm's got higher or lower. I read about some people running 50+ mph with 4.3's in 18 footer's, I was hoping to see 60 with my 5.0