18’ Seagull Catamaran cavitation

joncbro

Recruit
18’ Seagull Catamaran 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke. All my props are 12” and aluminum. 3 blade 9 pitch horribly hole shot lots of cavitation top speed 21mph. 4 blade 9 pitch a little bit better hole shot 19mph. I was told I need an 8 pitch 3 blade? The same as a pontoon boat? I was also told I need a whale tail? I have an se 300 hydrofoil on it way and a 3 blade 8 pitch prop coming. Am I on track or just buying a bridged from salesmen? Next topic! Lol motor hight for single outboard catamaran? I understand monohulls and the cavitation plate but a cat I don’t know where to start at? I have water coming up the sides of the motor shaft hitting the sides of the cal cover. I have to trim the motor as high as it goes. Outboard is atlowest hole setting. I’m guessing it’s to low? Alright cat guys give me information?????? I do plan to upgrade motor this winter. I was thinking 115hp or 90? Yes 4 stroke! Love the gas savers and a stainless prop once I figure out what pitch?

ahicks

Captain
Interesting project!

Not knowing any better, I'd be tempted to start with the cavitation plate on the same line you would get if connecting the bottom of the 2 hulls. Then go from there.

Is there a pod or something hanging down just forward of the motor? A pic of your install from the right view might help.

When it comes to cavitation, I can see where a cat might struggle, and for that reason I'd be tempted to try a 4 blade prop - for it's increased surface area/bite.

Seems to me like all else being equal, going with less pitch is going to make your cavitation problem worse. You would want to focus on as large a diameter prop as possible, and prop blade design. Cupped for instance, often comes out of the hole with reduced cavitation.

I hate "hydrofoils".