Prop selection

timbo777

Recruit
Good evening I wanted to get some input on prop brand selection on a 2016 Tahoe 400ts with a 3.0 mpi Mercruser my size is a 14 1/2 × 19 I have used the Mercury black max and the Solas rubic 3 I was impressed with the black max I get 40mph with the Tahoe is one manufacturer better than another for speed and performance or does any of you recommend a different brand I am using aluminum

Thank you

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Many on here with more experience than me but I'll provide my thoughts. I'm pretty sure the mantra, "you get what you pay for" holds true for props. Not everyone will agree but in general terms Mercury props are tops. Why? They have more skin in the game. Mercury has been in the racing business since before I was born. As such their prices are reflective. Having said that, your Black Max prop is very old technology. As is my Quicksilver Silverado which is nothing more than a stainless steel version of the Black Max. TBH I'm very happy with it however I too am considering re-propping. If you want to try a more modern technology aluminum prop, try the Mercury Spitfire/Quicksilver Nemesis. Only difference is the Spitfire comes with a hub.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You won’t really see much gain over a black max on the 3.0 that’s well pitched. But if you have some rpm to play with, you might see early to at best mid 40’s with a good tempest or laser 2. Likely be more for show than much else though.