Need help new to boating world

Chevyguy996

Cadet
I took my boat out last weekend and hit a rock it twisted the prop but I was still able to drive it. Once I got it back on the trailer. I knew I had to get a new prop which I did. My uncle installed it. I just launched the boat now it won’t go in reverse didn’t try to go fwd because I wouldn’t have been able to get it back on the trailer. My boat is a 2007 glastron 4.3 mercury in it. Was really hoping to bring my dad out for Father’s Day. Any help would be much appreciated.
paul

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it's time to pull the prop shaft and associated components and see what you tore up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might post this in the MerCruiser forum. Hopefully it is just a shift cable or something easy like that.

jaybird7

Cadet
isn't there a pin on the alpha outdrive that disengages the drive? I'm pretty sure i used it once during a service. I can look tomorrow. Def check with mercruiser peeps. Unless it ripped the splines clean off and theres no bite?

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like you damaged more than just the prop. I had 2 uncles during my lifetime, but never had them change out a prop on a boat :D

Time to go through the outdrive and see what else got damaged/messed up.