Need help new to boating world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help new to boating world

I took my boat out last weekend and hit a rock it twisted the prop but I was still able to drive it. Once I got it back on the trailer. I knew I had to get a new prop which I did. My uncle installed it. I just launched the boat now it won’t go in reverse didn’t try to go fwd because I wouldn’t have been able to get it back on the trailer. My boat is a 2007 glastron 4.3 mercury in it. Was really hoping to bring my dad out for Father’s Day. Any help would be much appreciated.
    paul

Sounds like it's time to pull the prop shaft and associated components and see what you tore up.
    If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

You might post this in the MerCruiser forum. Hopefully it is just a shift cable or something easy like that.

Comment

isn't there a pin on the alpha outdrive that disengages the drive? I'm pretty sure i used it once during a service. I can look tomorrow. Def check with mercruiser peeps. Unless it ripped the splines clean off and theres no bite?

Comment

isn't there a pin on the alpha outdrive that disengages the drive?
          NO.....
          When in doubt,Trim it out!!!
          Business Owner & Certifed Technician
          Boats I own & use
          20ft Javlin w/250 Junkrude
          17ft Bullet w/200 Merc (SOLD!!)
          13ft Allison w/150 I-6
          17ft Hydra-Sport 175GT
          15ft Allison w/75 Stinger(project)
          14 x 48 Drifter with 1100SS Merc

Comment

Sounds like you damaged more than just the prop. I had 2 uncles during my lifetime, but never had them change out a prop on a boat

Time to go through the outdrive and see what else got damaged/messed up.
            Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
            Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
            Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Thanks everyone it’s back and running good it needed an adjustment.

Comment

Working...
              X