Spun hub?

southkogs

Staff member
Hey guys: I'm not great at this, so I wanted to confirm that my diagnosis sounds about right -

Towed a dude in a few weeks back, and things got a little scrambled toward the end of it (they weren't very experienced boaters) and I wound up catching a line in my prop. It did stop the engine. I checked a few things including the lube and everything looks fine.

Took the boat out by myself, and it planed out fine and seemed to run okay. The week after, I took the family out, and the boat kinda' fought a little to get on plane, but no problems (ultimately). Yesterday, we went out for the afternoon. Three on board, and we were a little sluggish getting on plane but we were able to run no problem to a spot I was going to dive at (maybe 15 minutes at 3400 RPM). Finished up monkeying around there and took a ride - several speeds on and off plane, but one good solid run at 3400-ish RPM for maybe a full 30 minutes. About a mile from the marina, the boat seemed to slug up - almost like I ran the prop through a bunch of weeds. Brought it off plane, and took a look. After that, it would make way just fine but wouldn't get up on plane - running even 4,000 RPM.

I'm guessing at a spun hub.

I know the trick of putting two punch marks on the hub to check that, but if the hub is already spun, that really doesn't work. Correct?

I can't see anything telling visually. Otherwise, any other way to check it? (Boat could probably stand a new prop, so I'm not really upset at the idea of getting a new one).

alldodge

Staff member
boat seemed to slug up

Motor use to come right up but now motor is reving up but boat is not coming up. With not smelling any burnt rubber, then I agree spun prop hub.

Could get a hub kit

I can't see anything telling visually. Otherwise, any other way to check it?

Mark the nut in relation to the prop (scratch or punch mark)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Mark the hub and take a short ride until it acts up, SK. If it spun once, it will spin again and get progressively worse.

What you said is just how my spun hub acted. Cruising along and like the anchor dropped and RPMs went up. I was about 6 miles from the ramp and it got to the point that the boat only moved slightly above idle. 6 miles of no waking was a long haul.

southkogs

Staff member
I didn't realize on these props that you could pull the hub kit without a press. I've actually never had the prop off this one, so I went to do that today only to find I don't have that one size socket :facepalm: ... and I didn't want to make a third trip to the auto parts store (van's alternator went out).

I'll pull it off tomorrow or Tuesday and get a look see. If the hub kit comes out as easy as I'm seeing, then I'll be able to figure things out pretty quickly. May opt for a new prop anyway. This is probably the original prop and has some decent dings in it.

alldodge

Staff member
Never took the prop off, oh boy, you may have an issue there, hope not

Prop should come off every couple three years, to grease, otherwise they can weld themselves on

southkogs

Staff member
Yikes ... well, let's hope it's true that God watches over fools and drunks :pray:

southkogs

Staff member
... well, let's hope it's true that God watches over fools and drunks :pray:
He at least favors fools. Prop came off without a hammer, blood or cussing. Hub came apart real easy. I'm more convinced it's the problem now. Gonna' at least order the kit even if I don't replace the prop.

alldodge

Staff member
Cool, I had all kinds of problems getting one off an OB I bought

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I've actually never had the prop off this one, so I went to do that today only to find I don't have that one size socket :facepalm: ...

'kogs........ greasing the prop shaft is part of annual maintenance

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks guys: I haven't had it off in 5 years. Will add that to the list. I'm assuming that when Mom and Dad had the boat, they were paying someone for the annual. It came off super simple, so I dodged a bullet of not doing the PM on it.

Been lookin' at hub kits and maybe a second prop. I've read a bunch of 4 blade vs 5 blade. Seems like people suggest there's a cruise advantage on a 4 blade (efficiency and planing). Any thoughts while I have peoples attention?

No qualms with the 3 blade I have, so I'm currently in an "if it ain't broke" frame of mind. But if I get a second prop, also not afraid of something tuned a little different.

alldodge

Staff member
More blade depends on the boat. More blades

Takes more HP to turn will reduce RPM but also decreases slip

Increases lift, so hull comes up more but can may also cause boat to porpose

May have better hole shot but reduce top speed due to more drag