Prop help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

d75bender

Cadet
I bought my Ranger in August, its an older 198818ft 374v with a 98' 150hp Evinrude Intruder FICHT 1998 outboard. The lower unit was replaced and the guy who I bought it from had a Renegade Bass SS 13.5 x 27 prop on it. My boat ventilates while driving it so I used Turning Points prop wizard to buy a new Turning Point 14.25 x 19 SS prop. You guessed it, prop doesn't fit. I can't find the Renegade prop anywhere online to try and figure out what prop I need to buy as far as the spec's goes. The Renegade prop number is 177126. Looks like the thrust washer is permanently on the shaft and I had to buy a hub kit with the new Turning Point prop and the hub fits the shaft but is about a 1/2 inch from going in the lower unit and seating correctly. Does anyone know how to figure out what kind of prop I need to buy? I'm including the new and old prop in the pics. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• photo324410.jpg
    photo324410.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo324411.jpg
    photo324411.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo324412.jpg
    photo324412.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 13
  • photo324413.jpg
    photo324413.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo324414.jpg
    photo324414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
Have never seen a thrust washer which was permanently attached, think its just seized on it

Post pic of the washer

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Really strange jump to go from a 27” to a 19”. I think maybe some of the input data must be wrong. I’d naturally assume you would be much higher pitched than 19. Did you just change because it’s ventilating ? Is the 27” maybe a vented prop ? A 19” will send that rig to the moon with rpm.

d75bender

Cadet
I believe this is the thrust washer...If it's just stuck on there then I believe the prop would fit. Just didn't know how hard I could pull on it without messing something up.

Attachments

• photo324421.jpg
    photo324421.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324422.jpg
    photo324422.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324423.jpg
    photo324423.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324424.jpg
    photo324424.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324425.jpg
    photo324425.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0

d75bender

Cadet
The guy that I bought this from did the rebuild to the lower unit, He had a 23p prop on it before the rebuild but after they were done he said the 23p prop wouldn't fit and the only prop he had around that fit was the 27p prop. After that he said when he'd get enough weight on the boat (2 grown adults plus gear) it would ventilate which caused the rpm's to jump way up and slip on the water. He demonstrated it with the 2 of us in the boat. It had problems getting on a plane if he just punched it, like the prop wouldn't grab, it would slip, the rpm's would go way up until he backed off the throttle and slowly got on a plane. Once on a plane it was fine cruising at about 57mph but I could feel the boat at different trim heights would slip some, it just wouldn't bite water correctly if that makes sense. I've had the boat out probably 15 times since August, its not a spun hub, I've had plenty of those...and by myself the boat just jumps out of the hole like it was nothing. But cruising by myself at different trim heights I can feel the prop isn't pushing the boat correctly. It's slipping just going straight until I move the trim some. The only reason I went to a 19p prop is because I used Turning Points Prop Wizard. In the wizard you enter in all your boat, your motors, gear, accessories into this wizard and it tells you what prop size you should be running. So I just went off of that. With the 27p prop I was only getting to 4500 rpms by myself WOT. Now I read that 1 inch of pitch equals approximately 200 rpms so in theory I should have gone down about 3-4 inches in pitch. So a 23 pitch prop should be about right but I trusted Turning Points prop wizard more than what I read. According to Evinrude my motors WOT should be aprox 5200 rpms for this model. I figured it would be to much rpms with the 19 inch but I figured I just wouldn't go WOT and just go to 5200 rpms.

alldodge

Staff member
The washer is corroded on the shaft. Take a brass, leather, or block of wood and smack it a few times, it should come loose.

Did get your PM, but I was doing other things and just now got back on the computer

d75bender

Cadet
Hey no worries man, I appreciate you helping out. I'll try a block of wood and a rubber mallet tomorrow. Gently of course. If you read this again what's your take on the 19 pitch prop...Should I return it for a 23p? I plan on taking it out tomorrow so I guess I can try it out and see if the rpm's get to high.

alldodge

Staff member
You didn't mention anything about the number of blades on the prop. The pics show 4 blade

The more blades the more lift, and 5200 rpm does sound about right but no expert on your motor, could be a Rude will tach more then that. The more lift the more possibilities of ventilation. Many go from 3 blade to 4 thinking they will get more speed, but with a light boat it just pics it up more and some speed does come with, but there are other issues that also come with the change.

Need to find a Rude OB guy to ask about rpm max

d75bender

Cadet
The prop that came with the boat is a 27pitch (13.5x27p) 4 blade Renegade Bass prop and the Turning Point prop that I just bought is a 19pitch (14.25x19p) 3 blade prop.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Looks to be the wrong thrust hub. I have a TP Hustler on my '98 Johnny 150HPV6, which is real similar to your 'rude. I would expect the 19P prop to fit, unless the PO did something strange with the gearcase. The TP prop hub came with a thrust hub, plastic and brass hubs and a cone-shaped piece of stainless steel to cover the back end of the hub.

You will need to trial the boat and see if the 19P prop is the right one.

d75bender

Cadet
Ya, the thrust washer that is on there in the pictures is for the Renegade Bass prop. The thrust washer that came with the TP prop is pretty different. I bought the hub kit so when I get that Renegade stuck thrust washer off I'll replace it with the TP thrust washer. I think it's going to fit once I get the right thrust washer on there. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try and get it off tomorrow morning, if successful and I get the new TP prop on there I'm taking it out and will report back.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A wedge-shaped block of wood driven (gently) between the casing and thrust hub, should break it loose.

BTW - that thrust hub looks like the shape used on Mercury props. The smaller shoulder on the thrust hub is supposed to recess into the prop housing. It kinds looks like your prop housing doesn't fit over the shoulder.

d75bender

Cadet
Thanks for the wedge-shaped block of wood suggestion.

Ya know over the last 5 years I've owned 2 different boats both with OMC brand of motors and with my previous boat the owner had run over an island top with it so when I got it the hub on the prop was spun. I changed the prop and hub kit and the thrust washer was a completely different shape then the one on my current motor. There was an old spare prop that came with the boat, I changed the prop and hub kit and the washer was flat and not the same shape as the one on my current motor as well. I just bought this new TP prop and hub kit and the new thrust washer is all flat, same style of thrust washer as my old boat and this one that's stuck on there now is fatter and rounder in shape.

I noticed it didn't look the same but didn't even think it could be from a Mercury kit. Wouldn't surprise me though, this guy who rebuilt the lower unit seemed to do whatever it took to complete the build so he could sell the boat. It was sitting in his garage for over 10 years so the boat upholstery and the condition of the boat is in amazing shape for its age which is why I bought it, not to mention the upper part of the motor was rebuilt 2 years ago and the lower unit was just rebuilt. Due to the fact the boat had been sitting for so long with just occasional use the gas in the auxiliary tank literally turned to varnish. He would take it out to use it just to keep it running but would only use the main 2 gas tanks and never the Aux gas tank. I just siphoned the gas tank and he said the last time he put gas in there he filled it up to 14 gallons. I siphoned out 6 gallons. So now I think I'm going to remove the tank, put a new board down over the tank with some hinges on it, fix the seats to the board so I can use under the seats as storage instead of an Aux tank. My 2 main tanks are 15 gallons each and don't need almost 45 gallons of gas on my boat. I go out and normally only use 5-7 gallons per day.

You're exactly right as well. I could tell with my new prop when I slid it down it wasn't going over the thrust washer. I'm going to try to change it in a couple hours and if successful will take it out. Will report back later today if I was successful.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

d75bender

Cadet
Well I feel like a bit of a wuss for not being able to get the first thrust washer off, 1 tiny smack with a rubber mallet and it popped right off...Tried to install the new prop and hub and to my luck it still doesn't fit.

Any suggestions before I take this to a marine dealership to have them tell me what kinda prop/hub kit I need? I'll post pics of each step and the issue.

The prop still doesn't go into the housing like it should, the last cover that is supposed to go over the splines before the nut goes on doesn't come close to seating on the splines.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
What does the inside of the prop look like (side that goes against the washer)?

d75bender

Cadet
Inside of prop.

Attachments

• photo324461.jpg
    photo324461.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 12
  • photo324462.jpg
    photo324462.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
I should have looked closer in your first post but the hub doesn't look like its installed correctly

fetch

and the back end doesn't look right either, think it should be recessed more

fetch

d75bender

Cadet
You were right!!! I hammered that hub in there further and the prop fit perfectly. I just got back and the ride in the boat was so flippin smooth it felt like I was driving a different boat. It shot out of the hole quicker than any boat I've ever been in. I was literally on a plane before I even had the throttle all the way down. There was zero slipping at any point however I lost quite a bit of speed going to a 19 inch pitch prop. I was hitting 58mph WOT at 45-4700rpms with the 27p prop but the ride was rough and would slip along the way. The 19p prop was insanely smooth, no slipping but at 5200 rpm my top end speed was at 51mph. I looked up my engines rpm specs at Rude's website and my top end rpm's for this motor is listed at 5200 rpm's. I still had room to put the throttle down further than 5200 rpm's and it was hard not to just go WOT but I'm not looking to blow up my motor. So even though I am super happy with the ride I think I am going to exchange this prop for another Turning Point prop but with a 23p or 24p. Any suggestion on which pitch you'd recommend?

I can't thank you guys enough for all the information. Really helped me out and saved me some money not having to take it in.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Your engines WOT range is 4500 - 5500. so at 5200 you are in the upper 1/2 of the RPM range, You must have had a lot of Slippage/Ventilating with the 27 as an 8" decrease in pitch adds up to about a 1600 rpm change, your change is only 500 - 700 rpm. 52 mph at 5200 rpm with a 19 is not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.