Kicker height on outboard jet

Moults

Cadet
Hi there
looking for some insight for mounting a kicker on my 16 foot G3 with 90/65 Johnson outboard jet.

Ive got a 7.5hp and 15hp eska outboards sitting around that I’d like to have as backup in case I run into issues on the river.

my question is how low should I mount the kicker? The boat has a 3 degree hull and with mounting the kicker off to the side I’m not sure if the cavitation plate needs to be below the lowest part of the hull or or if it should be just below the hull where it sits?

any input is appreciated!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Post a pic of the back transom to have a look...

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Trick is to get the prop and plate below the line of the hull when it’s down (or it’s useless) but also so that it’s not dragging in the water when it’s up and using main engine. Ideally a short shaft if you can. Otherwise a long shaft would most likely drag when stowed up. It’s a fine balance.
I have a 19ft deep v cuddy with a kicker. It’s set up as good as it gets. With a 3hp Yamaha Malta kicker it will manage about 4mph at half to 3/4 throttle and nearly
5 at full.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You aren't going to plane, so the position of the "cavitation" plate is of little importance.

You also won't exceed hull speed so the 15 is probably overkill. The 7.5 should do just fine.

The vertical position of the kicker should be so that the prop is just below the bottom of the hull.

I have a relatively light 15' Center console with a 3.5 kicker, and an average weight 19' bowrider with a 5.0 kicker and both will do about 6.0 mph at cruise throttle, only very slightly more at WOT.