2 blade prop

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
i have a vintage sears ted williams or maybe eska cant find serial number on the metel tag on the mounting bracket has a number 21042g was told that not the serilal number trying to find a prop for it

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You need the model number, not the serial number. Its likely a McCullouch.

Google AOMCI.org and post a question on their web site. If they don't know, nobody does.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Post a pic of it here, that will usually quickly determine the Brand

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
hey guys i'm trying to figure out how to post pic here of the motor i have can someone explain to me thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Click on Forum Help below and look the Photo Tutorial for a How-to.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
"Elgin" made Sears for a bit back in the early 50's as I recall. at least in the low hp engines, (of which I am aware). I think a fishing buddy of mine had a 7 1/2 (his dads) in pale green, either Sears or Elgin brand.

We went on a trotlining overnight trip one weekend for some Channel and High Fin Blue Catfish. Found our perfect camping spot in the fork of Lake Houston (Tx.). Set all our gear out on the ground for setting up camp, GRUB and all. Went out to set out and bait the lines. Came back and FERAL hogs were having a blast. Old sow and half a dozen piglets. We beached the boat, jumped out and chased them for a bit and he luckily hit a piglet while throwing his hatchet. I threw a machete and missed..........why momma sow didn't turn around and attack us when it screamed I don't know but they all ran off into the brush. Supper wasn't all that bad after all......fish weren't biting but we had fun anyway.

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
texasmark nice story i love juglining on the lake this little motor i will use on sheldon reservoir you probably know where that is i'm sure posted pic but dont know where they went i'm trying to find the plug gap for that motor oil/fuel ratio i think the model#is 210429 its a sears i think ted williams any help i would appreciate it steve aka mudbug59

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Elgin was Sears' trade name. Just like everything else Sears, it was made by someone else. McCulloch, Eska, and West Bend were some of the manufacturers.

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
I'm still trying to figure out what motor i have. I think its a Sears Eska but I'm not sure. I hope ya'll can give me some insight. It belonged to my neighbor, we had it running years ago. We used it on the lake & he gave it to me right before he passed away this year. Today I cleaned the magneto & it's firing good. I pulled off flywheel and this motor does not have points, it has a coil attached to the spark plug. At least I think it a coil. Hope someone can give some help in identifying this motor and possibly what parts I need for it. If nothing else can someone help me identify the spark plug gap setting & fuel ratio mix. Does anyone know if I can use 2 cycle chainsaw oil, I've heard to mix it 24 to 1 but not really sure. Any help you guys can give I would appreciate it, please see the attached pictures.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

​​​​​​​Mudbug59

Attachments

• photo322822.jpg
    photo322822.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322823.jpg
    photo322823.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322824.jpg
    photo322824.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322825.jpg
    photo322825.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322826.jpg
    photo322826.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322827.jpg
    photo322827.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322828.jpg
    photo322828.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
texasmark nice story i love juglining on the lake this little motor i will use on sheldon reservoir you probably know where that is i'm sure posted pic but dont know where they went i'm trying to find the plug gap for that motor oil/fuel ratio i think the model#is 210429 its a sears i think ted williams any help i would appreciate it steve aka mudbug59

I fished Sheldon with my dad back when Creme came out with their first worm...first of the worm explosion as far as I knew. Sheldon did show it's discrepancies, hooks exposed, daisy chained, spinner and beads. Worms have certainly come a long way since then. We also fished with live bait; Red tail minnows which could be gotten at a bait store near the reservoir. Good times.........
Oil back then was automotive engine oil, at a quart to 6 gallons. 50:1 (pint to 6 gallons) TC-W3 (Two Cycle - Watercraft Third iteration) on today's market should work for you which is where todays oil like Pennzoil Marine at WallyWorld in the sporting goods dept. Remember the ratio and that the bottle is a quart.....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I fished Sheldon with my dad back when Creme came out with their first worm...first of the worm explosion as far as I knew. Sheldon did show it's discrepancies, hooks exposed, daisy chained, spinner and beads. Worms have certainly come a long way since then. We also fished with live bait; Red tail minnows which could be gotten at a bait store near the reservoir. Good times.........
Oil back then was automotive engine oil, at a quart to 6 gallons. 50:1 (pint to 6 gallons) TC-W3 (Two Cycle - Watercraft Third iteration) on today's market should work for you which is where todays oil like Pennzoil Marine at WallyWorld in the sporting goods dept. Remember the ratio and that the bottle is a quart.....

Had a computer-site glitch...continuing: Points set at 30-35, probably 35.

Chain saw oil is not made for water craft and vise versa. Use what I said and the amount I said should be ok......I'd do what I said if it were me and not worry about it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is an Eska built motor. Chainsaw oil will work fine in that as it is an air cooled motor. The mix on them was usually around 25-1. Points are usually set around .020. I believe they also have waterpumps in the leg on those for exhaust cooling.

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the help one more question does anyone sparkplug setting oh yea this motor doesn't have points it's reeded thanks mudbug59

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone know if there is somthing wrong with the vintage boat motor forum i click on it but it want open

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
That is an Eska built motor. Chainsaw oil will work fine in that as it is an air cooled motor. The mix on them was usually around 25-1. Points are usually set around .020. I believe they also have waterpumps in the leg on those for exhaust cooling.

Being Air cooled I agree.

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
sorry about that flyingscott i was thinking about two different things reeds don't have anything with points

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I'm still trying to figure out what motor i have. I think its a Sears Eska but I'm not sure. I hope ya'll can give me some insight. It belonged to my neighbor, we had it running years ago. We used it on the lake & he gave it to me right before he passed away this year. Today I cleaned the magneto & it's firing good. I pulled off flywheel and this motor does not have points, it has a coil attached to the spark plug. At least I think it a coil. Hope someone can give some help in identifying this motor and possibly what parts I need for it. If nothing else can someone help me identify the spark plug gap setting & fuel ratio mix. Does anyone know if I can use 2 cycle chainsaw oil, I've heard to mix it 24 to 1 but not really sure. Any help you guys can give I would appreciate it, please see the attached pictures.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Mudbug59

It's a magneto like is on your pointless lawn mower. Magnet on the flywheel passes the iron core of the transformer generating a high energy pulse that breaks over and supplies it's energy to the plug when it fires. That contact is probably a shorted turn or more which is connected to ground when you want to stop the motor....just like your lawn mower. Gap sets the timing and has an effect on the pulse amplitude. We used to use a piece of grocery sack as a gapping tool between the flywheel and the core of the coil.

You said it fires good so you must be set up ok. Check your woodruff key where your flywheel is locked onto your crankshaft (will have to pop the flywheel locking nut to see the end of it) and ensure it is perfectly square, not distorted in any way....if so, pop the flywheel and install a new one sized to perfectly fit the slot.....timing and it's critical....I have had a WK just partly sheared and it knocked the timing off enough the engine wouldn't start without a new key.