What Mercury Quicksilver Hub do I need?

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a Mercury Quicksilver Stainless Steel prop (48-16314A5-17P) that I believe may be in need of a new hub. I purchased it used and it appears to have one of the pressed in rubber hubs.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Can anyone tell me what model prop this is? (I think it's an old Mercury Vengeance, but I'm not sure)
  • If I were to press the current hub out of the prop, would I be able to put in one of the new replaceable Flo-Torq hubs or its equivalent? (I have an extra turning point hub that fits my outboard and any prop requiring the Flo-Torq
  • If I cannot use the newer style hub, what Mercury rubber hub do I need to be looking for? Part number would be great!

Thanks!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
id like to see a picture of the prop from the rear and front. That prop is defo a vengeance and for the big gearcase like a alpha one drive or v6 outboard or command thrust or similar.
it shouldn’t really have a pressed in hub in it, unless perhaps it was used for another brand or application. Once it’s bare down to the casting (with current hub out) it should take the standard flo torque and or the newer type that’s handy for higher power and stopping prop rattle for bigger diameter or 4 blades.
Post a pic anyway. Just in case it’s just the insert left in maybe ? Not sure how familiar you are with them.
All the best.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. It will be going on a Mercury 150 XR2 outboard. The hub that is currently installed fits that spline pattern and the prop should work fine, there's just some visible shards of rubber at the back of the hub. Could have been caused during press in, but it makes me nervous nonetheless. I have a brand new Turning point hub sitting around extra and if it will fit, it's going to get installed.

Pics are attached to this post.

Attachments

• DSC01372.JPG
    DSC01372.JPG
    559.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01374.JPG
    DSC01374.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01375.JPG
    DSC01375.JPG
    761.8 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Good stuff. Out of interest, what’s the boat it’s fitted to ? You’re maybe already aware, but these vengeance props aren’t anything great really. No performance orientated cut or finish on them at all. They are a stainless version of a standard ally prop. Often proven to perform worse than the same pitch ally prop. Seems a shame to put it on a wonderful engine like the one you have.
Just thought I’d voice my thinking on them. Perhaps it’s not an issue for you. All the best.

Bondo

Staff member
Could have been caused during press in, but it makes me nervous nonetheless.

Ayuh,...... Pressed in rubber hubs are Not diy replaceable,....

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good stuff. Out of interest, what’s the boat it’s fitted to ? You’re maybe already aware, but these vengeance props aren’t anything great really. No performance orientated cut or finish on them at all. They are a stainless version of a standard ally prop. Often proven to perform worse than the same pitch ally prop. Seems a shame to put it on a wonderful engine like the one you have.
Just thought I’d voice my thinking on them. Perhaps it’s not an issue for you. All the best.

The outboard is on an 80s model Bayliner Trophy center console fishing boat. It's the boat I use for catfishing. Big and heavy, so performance isn't going to be great regardless. It's great at handling rough water, though, which is why I keep it around.

I recently installed a Turning Point Hustler aluminum prop. Had adequate performance, but was a little under-pitched. Luckily, Turning Point offers a prop exchange program and I exchanged the 15.25x15p prop for a 14.5x17p. Just need some calm winds to take her out and see how she performs.

I like to run Stainless props whenever possible. Though if I had my way I'd find a mercury big ear chopper prop in about a 19 pitch. I run a chopper on my bass boat with a 200 black max. Love the performance of those over-the-hub exhaust props.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,...... Pressed in rubber hubs are Not diy replaceable,....

I didn't press this hub in, but I do have a 20 ton press that I could use to get it out. The primary question I was wanting answered in this thread was if I press this rubber hub out, would a flo-torq style hub FIT and WORK.

Judging by earlier answers, it seems like it would.