The wait is over. Sharrow prop test.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I guess its just off season and everyone is bored. The gurus that own VW Jettas must be out in full force.

Actually, Wallyworld Pennzoil oil 10W30 TCW6 is the worst there is and probably will make your engine blow up. But then again, I bet nobody here even knows what Texaco Outboard Motor Oil even is! That's too bad because back in the day it was....well...never mind.

I don't own a Sbarrow but I do have an old Minnesota Wheel. I broke off a couple blades and then filed it down to be even. Boy, what a gem! 2% prop slip and 123 MPH with an old Big Twin. I think I might patent it.

Anywhoot,

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I guess its just off season and everyone is bored. The gurus that own VW Jettas must be out in full force.

Actually, Wallyworld Pennzoil oil 10W30 TCW6 is the worst there is and probably will make your engine blow up. But then again, I bet nobody here even knows what Texaco Outboard Motor Oil even is! That's too bad because back in the day it was....well...never mind.

I don't own a Sbarrow but I do have an old Minnesota Wheel. I broke off a couple blades and then filed it down to be even. Boy, what a gem! 2% prop slip and 123 MPH with an old Big Twin. I think I might patent it.

Anywhoot,

I’m not sure I know or recognise any of the things mentioned here. What’s an old big twin and a Minnesota wheel ?
think I know what a jetta is. Like a golf/rabbit with a trunk/boot ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I got to e-mails from Boattest the past couple of Days with a new Explainations of their Infomercial. If the Prop is an Advancement in Prop Technology, then when Authentic Testing/Rev

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I’m not sure I know or recognise any of the things mentioned here. What’s an old big twin and a Minnesota wheel ?
think I know what a jetta is. Like a golf/rabbit with a trunk/boot ?

It's just my blend of humor, I guess. So many jokes here, I couldn't resist.

Do you remember the old comedian that used to be on the Ed Sullivan Show. I forget his name - he's the one that always got his words mixed up. Remember "I resemble that".

Anyway, A Big Twin is the only noun above that was intentionally correct. It's a 2 cylinder, 2-stroke outboard made by Evinrude in the '50's and '60's. Started out as a 25, and I believe it got up to about 40 hp when the name was retired. The blue outboard in my avatar is a 1953 Evinrude 25 HP Big Twin.

P5232994web.jpgP4022907web.jpg

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
Sharrow solid aluminum billet CNC machined prop = $4500
Sharrow solid SS billet CNC machined prop = $9000

Tearing up your new Sharrow prop on rocks the first time out = PRICELESS! :D

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It's just my blend of humor, I guess. So many jokes here, I couldn't resist.

Do you remember the old comedian that used to be on the Ed Sullivan Show. I forget his name - he's the one that always got his words mixed up. Remember "I resemble that".

Anyway, A Big Twin is the only noun above that was intentionally correct. It's a 2 cylinder, 2-stroke outboard made by Evinrude in the '50's and '60's. Started out as a 25, and I believe it got up to about 40 hp when the name was retired. The blue outboard in my avatar is a 1953 Evinrude 25 HP Big Twin.

Lovely engine

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this is an old thread, but there is a a big update. Boating mag sent me an announcement regarding the Sharrow prop.

Sharrow has reduced the the price of the CNC'ed custom stainless prop to $5000. And added a cast SS version to be available in a year with a $100 refundable deposit. The cast jobber costs $2000. I had to dig through the Sharrow website to find the prices. And they are still touting the Boattest.com review and no new tests. A snip partial snip from the email;

The Sharrow Propeller™ has undergone extensive third-party testing, including independent testing by BoatTEST.com. Advantages cited by BoatTEST.com and others of the new SHARROW PROPELLER™ MODEL MX-1 include:
  • Performs significantly better at idle
  • Planes at a lower RPM
  • Is faster at all RPM settings
  • Gets significantly more mpg at 3000 and 3500 RPM
  • Is more fuel-efficient at every speed through water setting
  • Is as much as 18% more fuel-efficient at 26-28 MPH
  • Produces the highest top speed
  • Creates noticeably less vibration
  • Is generally quieter
  • Has superior handling in tight turns at high-speed
  • Improves handling in reverse
  • Provides the greatest range at all speeds
Opinion - There is no magic prop around the corner. Sharrow reminds me of the Elio 3 wheel car that was promised for delivery in 2012, 2013, 2017, 2019 and still not on the streets, but 65,000 deposits were made. The best chance for the Sharrow prop is Brunswick or another marine manufacturer buying the business and until then they are selling the sizzle, not the steak.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
How much will the average person pay for a 20% increase in performance from a prop? Certainly as much as 50%, maybe even twice as much, but 10 times more. Not a chance in hell.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How much will the average person pay for a 20% increase in performance from a prop? Certainly as much as 50%, maybe even twice as much, but 10 times more. Not a chance in hell.

How is that 10x more?? People on here who are in love with there enertias are paying $5-600 for cast SS.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I know I’ve said it before but the claim of better top end is utter nonsense until I see it against a prop that’s pitched accordingly to the set up. The only test I’ve seen what with the opposed enertia prop at least 2, or even 4 inches under propped and 100% certainly on the limiter for that 150 it was on. Clearly that test limited the top speed capable, should it have been suitable in pitch. Clearly aimed towards the sharrows ability lower down. Such a shame.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I'm not "in love" with any of the SS props I have, and I paid under $200 for each of them. They do perform as expected too.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Part three is supposed to be a boat test. Will a comparison be done? :noidea: