Variable pitch propeller

Foster5555

Recruit
Ive got a 23” sea ray with a 7.4L 454mercruiser. Was thinking about putting a variable pitch propeller on it. Anyone have any experience with these???

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Nope. But will follow the thread. I'm not even sure if they make that type of prop anymore.

harringtondav

Commander
^^Same as Grub. I've seen old variable pitch props. These had a bellville spring actuator that kept the blades at full high pitch when relaxed, and flattened under high load for hole shot acceleration. Then as torque decreased and speed increased the springs pushed the blades into a higher pitch state.

With your engine and boat size I think you'd have better luck dialing in the correct prop pitch for your needs. Lower pitch = better hole shot and lower speed power, but lower top end speed and possible engine over rev. Higher pitch = the opposite.

Elaborate on your goals, current RPM/speed performance. WOT speed and engine rpm are key pieces of info.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Can put a lot of stress on the gears and pinion when it shifts.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Never had one but saw pictures years ago and concept seems scary especially when you don't know what's under the water.....to tear up the mechanism for you.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Silly idea I’d think. Try get a good and well suited prop would be the idle result.