Prop help

T-rain

Cadet
I have just had a 1996 75hp Force put on a 1988 Bass Tracker Bass Boat. The motor was on my pontoon for years and I upgraded to a larger motor. I know from what Ive researched, the WOT RPM on this motor is 5500 on the pontoon. Would that still apply on the bass boat as well? What should I look for in a prop for the bass boat to get the best performance? Im totally ignorant when it comes to prop sizing and pitch. Thanks in advance!!

alldodge

Staff member
Only way to figure out what prop is needed, is to first need to know;
what prop (pitch and diameter) is on it now
what is the max rpm reached at WOT with that prop
what the GPS speed is at WOT

All the above is needed with boat loaded the way it would normally be used

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
The WOT RPM recommendation for the motor would be the same regardless of what type of boat it is on. If the specs say 5500 RPM's for your motor, then that's what it is for any boat you put it on. AllDodge is correct. You need to load up teh new boat, take it out and see what you are getting for RPM's at WOT. Be sure not to over rev it if it wants to go higher than the 5500 recommendation. If you need more RPM's for that boat, drop the pitch. If your RPM's are to high, raise the pitch. As a very general guideline, each inch of change to the pitch with change your RPM's about 200. If you drop pitch from 17 to 15, you will gain about 400 RPM's. If you raised the pitch from 17 to 19, you would drop about 400 RPM's at WOT.

Try her out and let us know what you are getting now, as well as the pitch and diameter of your current prop. We can go from there! Good luck.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
If you know thw dry weight of the tracker, one can pretty much guess the prop you'll need. And if it has the prop that was on it on the pontoon, you'll likely need to go up in pitch by 4" or more. Any prop selector should get you in the ballpark