2008 Mecury 15 hp 4 stroke

Scottadams724

Recruit
I have a new to me 2008 mercury 15hp on a 2014 14' Tracker deep V, the motor is mounted on the notched transom and seems to be too far down into the water, it ran great but when I came into shore to load the boat, I left it at the shore not running, when I got back to the boat to load it, was locked up, I couldn't get the E-start to do anything and couldn't even pull it over with the pull start, after loading the boat using an oar and a lot of patience, with the motor now exposed and accessible, I rotated the prop while in gear and run switch off, I was able to get the motor to turn over by hand and once that was the case it was now not locked up any more, my buddy said that he thought it might have been hydrolocked but I'm not sure how that would have happened, maybe being so close to the water it sucked a little in somewhere?
Help please.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Only has a 16" transom so if you have a standard long shaft engine which is 20" shaft then it is likely sitting too low in water. As for the lockup. I'd check the oil and make sure the water pump is working properly. Sounds to me like it over heated and froze up. Just wag.