2008 15 hp 4 stroke Mercury Tracker V14

Scottadams724

Recruit
I just bought a 14' tracker with the 15hp mercury motor on it and it seem like there is a lot of cavitation while idling and it creates a sucking sound and pushes out a bunch of bubbles, it doesn't do it all the time, but is pretty consistent at about every 30-45 seconds, my last little boat had none of that and for this newer setup to be doing this, its a little irritating haha, it also seems like the motor is mounted on the notched transom really far into the water and the cavitation plate is at least 8" past the bottom of the boat, and the power head is almost into the water, so im wondering if those things are related? Any help would be appreciated.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
If the av plate is 8" below the bottom of hull then someone put a stanbdard long shaft engine on it. It should have a been a short shaft.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
No. It's caused by a difference in water pressure. Although shaft length can affect that pressure. What's your engines model number on the plate? I suspect it's a 15EL. L meaning long shaft (20"). Or maybe even a 15EXL (25").