Need some advice on a possible prop purchase.

Saskboatguy

Cadet
Good day, I'm hoping to get some much needed advise on a prop purchase. I know enough about prop selection to be dangerous, so hopefully I can get some clarity here.

My boat is a 2012 Reinell 198 FNS. Has the 4.3 GXI Volvo Penta, at 225 HP. Factory Prop is a 3 blade, 14.5 diameter 19 pitch. Prop works well, few seconds to get to plane but goes to WOT no problem once on plane (4800 RPM). When I tilt the lower leg up for efficiency it will climb speed and go over WOT for RPM which is pretty normal. This is my "cruising" prop for getting to the fishing spots I like. For water sports I have a 4 blade, 14.5 diameter 17 pitch prop. Slower of course, but great torque and jumps on plane rather quickly. Also it grabs better on the turns and maintains speed on the turns, adding a blade and dropping 2 pitch was the key.

Boat is around 3,060 lbs plus people and some gear.

I have an opportunity to purchase a SS prop, which I really want. It's 13.25 diameter and 20 pitch. This would be my cruising prop.

My concern is more of the diameter, dropping that much diameter on a boar like mine is that a really bad idea? Will there be enough prop to push it on plane? going to a 20 pitch should be OK I would think. If it was a 14.25 diameter I would probably just buy it.

Thoughts???

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
SB, can you describe efficiency when trimming the lower leg up ? Usually it's more rpm and less top end speed at wot what's achieved when doing that. Diam is what prop manufacturer wants to give. The only possible way to know if a 20 pitch will work nice is buying it and water testing it. as all tech answers will be theoretical ones.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In Stainless, an Enertia would be a very good choice on your combo. It has great Acceleration, and can give a higher top speed as well. It has a Tenacious Grip on the Water and will actually lift the boat Vertically out of the water.
My Avatar shows it. The drive is not over trimmed DSC_1002c.jpg

Saskboatguy

Cadet
SB, can you describe efficiency when trimming the lower leg up ? Usually it's more rpm and less top end speed at wot what's achieved when doing that. Diam is what prop manufacturer wants to give. The only possible way to know if a 20 pitch will work nice is buying it and water testing it. as all tech answers will be theoretical ones.

Happy Boating

Sure. At a standstill go full throttle until it plains out. My boat, with the 19P, will climb up to close to 4800 rpm which is WOT. If I tilt the motor up, it will over rev. Less hull in the water. It I run it with the lower leg all the way down, say at 4000 rpm, then tilt up it will go faster as less hull is in the water.
The prop I'm considering I can get for 1/4 price of new. Even though a good price, is dropping 1.25 inches of pitch going to be a big deal?

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I thought you were dropping diameter? It should be fine anyway. If the deal is that good, might as well take the gamble. I would.

Saskboatguy

Cadet
I thought you were dropping diameter? It should be fine anyway. If the deal is that good, might as well take the gamble. I would.

My bad, I meant diameter. Guess it's a gamble, I'm just worried the small diameter isn't going to do well with putting my 3000lb with a 4.3 onto plane very well.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There is a lot more to Prop Design than just Diameter and Pitch. It can complicate attempts to anticipate how Prop ‘A’ compares to Props ‘B’ thru ‘Z’.
This 13.25 X 20, is a four blade? With 4 blades there will still be a lot of blade area even at 13.25 dia. Give it a try, if it doesn’t meet your expectations, put it on eBay and you should get your money back

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Every prop is a gamble. As for the diameter, generally speaking on a boat like yours, 99% of the suitable props will fall in a range of 13-15” diameter. 99.9% will fall between 13.25-14.75”.

Most prop models are only available in one diameter for a given pitch. Some props may be the same diameter across the entire range of available pitch. My 22p enertia has a diameter of 13.25 or 13.5”. My 21p mirage plus has a diameter of 14.75”(I think). Boat get my 3000lb boat with a 4.3 on plane without issue. I’m the oddball around here as I tend to like my mirage more than the enertia, but my enertia needs a tune up so I don’t rule out its potential.

Also keep in mind that almost all stainless props have more aggressive cup and rake compared to aluminum. So they essentially get a tighter grip on less water.

bottom line: the smaller diameter is not a concern, especially on a 4 blade SS.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I’m the oddball around here as I tend to like my mirage more than the enertia,

True:D, sorry I just couldn't resist.
As you said, and most of us here know it "Every prop is a gamble.". I have seen some instances where the Enertia wasn't the best choice. But I have seen more people Swearing by it, rather than at it

It was so much easier in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s when there weren't as many choices and only a couple of 3rd Party manufacturers. Hardest choice was AL vs. Bronze or SS

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Usually it's more rpm and less top end speed at wot what's achieved when doing that.
Wrong....trimming always increases speed and improves handling. Poster even tells you the answer and why. Need to study up on boating basics...

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Are you sure it will fit ? Most 13.25 props are for small gear case lower units exception being the high 5. The 4.3 GXI seems like its hard to prop correctly. I got the same motor and similar in weight boat and I've tried many props. 3 blade props hit the rev limiter easy unless its like a 23 pitch but then you lose hole shot. Even hit the limiter with a 21 pitch high 5. I'm running a Solas 4 blade SS 19 pitch now and running 4600 rpm at 45 mph at wot. Used to a have a 4 blade 20 pitch till I tweaked it on some rocks. Try and find a 4 blade 19 or if the prop you're looking at will fit grab it.

Saskboatguy

Cadet
Are you sure it will fit ? Most 13.25 props are for small gear case lower units exception being the high 5. The 4.3 GXI seems like its hard to prop correctly. I got the same motor and similar in weight boat and I've tried many props. 3 blade props hit the rev limiter easy unless its like a 23 pitch but then you lose hole shot. Even hit the limiter with a 21 pitch high 5. I'm running a Solas 4 blade SS 19 pitch now and running 4600 rpm at 45 mph at wot. Used to a have a 4 blade 20 pitch till I tweaked it on some rocks. Try and find a 4 blade 19 or if the prop you're looking at will fit grab it.

Now you tell me lol. Got it for $120, doesn't fit as the width on the prop is smaller. So not even going to try it. So, if price was no object, the Enertia prop 13.8 Diameter at 20 pitch which will fit my Volvo drive is about $1,000.00. I can get a 21P 14.25 Diameter Turning Point stainless on Amazon for 1/2 the price.

So, what's your thoughts??? What does everyone think???

Edit: The props I'm considering are 3 blade. I have a 17 pitch 4 blade 14.5 diameter aluminum for water sports. Want something for cruising and better top end speed.

Saskboatguy

Cadet
In Stainless, an Enertia would be a very good choice on your combo. It has great Acceleration, and can give a higher top speed as well. It has a Tenacious Grip on the Water and will actually lift the boat Vertically out of the water.
My Avatar shows it. The drive is not over trimmed

Looking at an Enertia 13.8 20P 3 blade. Should I go with a 21P? Don't even know if they make a 21. With a 3000lb boat and a 4.3 GXI I don't want to overprop the boat, especially because the 4.3 volvo has poor low end torque so already probably struggles a bit to get on plane.

Saskboatguy

Cadet
True:D, sorry I just couldn't resist.
As you said, and most of us here know it "Every prop is a gamble.". I have seen some instances where the Enertia wasn't the best choice. But I have seen more people Swearing by it, rather than at it

It was so much easier in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s when there weren't as many choices and only a couple of 3rd Party manufacturers. Hardest choice was AL vs. Bronze or SS

What about a Tempest PLUS 21pitch? Much difference to the Enertia? May be able to buy a Tempest for 1/2 the cost of the Enertia.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
The tempest is meant for running just below the surface. It’s a favorite of bass boaters. With your engine and drive, you can’t take full advantage so there are probably better solutions out there for you.

Quicksilver makes a prop called a Q3. It’s essentially the same as an enertia. Quicksilver stainless props are in increasingly short supply due to high demand for mercury branded stainless props which sell for more money. I did see a q3 in 19 and 21 pitch. Price was $620 USD.

The laser2 or mirage+ are also viable options.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Enertia has more Rake, different cupping, different blade shape, and different Stainless Steel alloy. There will be difference in how the boat rides, trims, accelerates, between the two props.
Prior to getting the Enertia, I was very happy running a RAKER on my VP

Saskboatguy

Cadet
Enertia has more Rake, different cupping, different blade shape, and different Stainless Steel alloy. There will be difference in how the boat rides, trims, accelerates, between the two props.
Prior to getting the Enertia, I was very happy running a RAKER on my VP

So all things considered, my best choice would be to bite the bullet and pick up the 13.8, 20P, 3 blade Enertia.Just stop looking for Kijiji deals lol.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well, it would be nice if you could try one out. Some dealers will let you try them, and if unsuitable, exchange it, Undamaged or course(And I mean not one scratch), provided you are buying one from them, not just testing them , them buying online. Where in Saskatchewan are you?