Prop Help - Formula Br 280

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2000 formula 280BR. Twin 350 Mag mpi with bravo 3s, 2.0 ratio.

Tried hill marine 4x4 24 p props but considering going down to 22. Loaded with 6 adults and 7 kids under 8 years old, I could only muster 3800 rpm at 38 mph via gps. This was the best result i could get playing with trim and tabs down.

Same props with 4 adults, 4 kids under 8, I could get 47mph at 4400 rpm.

Was surprised by the way the addition of 1 family (2 adults+2kids) changed WOT performance.

Is this normal?

im getting feedback that I should easily be able to turn 5000 rpm at WOT with this setup.

where do I go from here? Compression test? Check drive toe in/toe out?

alldodge

Staff member
Your running WOT and getting 4400
Add more weight and loose 600 rpms, that sounds about right

If your normal load was 4A and 4K, then you need maybe the 22 4x4 or 24 3-blade

The more weight, and where they sit, changes the boat performance every time.

tpenfield

Staff member
What prop set was on there originally, before you 'tried' the Hill marine sets?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If someone was to ask me what this set up would perform like...I’d guess instantly that it would be a real rocket ship and easily in excess of 50 mph and likely more.
I’d be thinking about replacing both diz caps...and if still no joy...look to what is common to both engines. As in the fuel.
A friend has a maxum 2400 (26ft oal) with a single mag mpi and B3 26” props. It will rocket on the plane with 6 adults on board even with 4 of them sitting across the back seat. Not sure about top speed like that, but with 3 on board it will certainly and consistently do 5000 rpm and between 48-50 mph. Just as a comparison

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
QBhoy sparkplugs, cap and rotor are all in good shape, new at beginning of season. Fuel was fresh fill less then a week ago.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you have that covered but it worth me mentioning that I’ve went through 5 caps in 5 years with mine. Now also suspecting I have another failed half way through season. It will be 6 if you count one that was no good right out the box.
Would also say that even if you have a little contaminated fuel...it will contaminate any amount of fresh fuel you put on top.
Youll probably know already but these engines need iridium plugs or at least a minimum of platinum. Many make the mistake of putting on the normal carb ones. They just don’t run well at all with them.
You will know I’m sure anyway.
Seems a strange one. There’s no way it should be so poor in performance. I’d even think that should be a genuine touching on 60 mph boat perhaps. But certainly into the 50’s.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
OK. Was your RPM hitting the specifications for the engines with the original prop sets?

If not, then you could certainly try the 22 P set, if you have any $$$$ left :)

Only thing might be that I suppose there could be an issue with the engines. I would think the 26” props with a 2.0 ratio would be spot on, all being well. I honestly think the problem is engine performance related.

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: Hill Marine let me use their exchange program and I went down from 24s to 22 pitch. All seems to be right in the world now. Can turn 4600 rpm at WOT doing 46 mph. This was with full fuel (~110 gals) with 6 adults and 7 kiddos and gear.

Holeshot is great, boat responds to trimming now. I lost some top end but don't really care as we never use that end of the spectrum anyway.

These 4x4 props from Hill Marine are far and above the standard 3 blade factory mercruiser bravo 3 props.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just read you first post again. Didn’t notice the tabs were down. This would account for a lot

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know, sounds silly but when I added that 3rd family with the 24 Ps, tabs gave the best performance. New 22 P props no tabs needed unless doing slow speed stuff and trying to stay on plane.

And Im happier with my over all rpm range now.