spun prop?

brian102

Seaman Apprentice
have a 2000 24ft toon with a 50 horse mercury on it. having problems with going through water and motor reving way up and also when turn hard at any kind of speed it revs up.. someone suggested a spun prop here and trying to see if i made the mark in the correct spot. The mark at 12 oclock used to be lined up with the mark at 8 oclock.. Meaning i have a spun prop issue? Its like im losing traction. motor is in the lowest notch available.

hopefully i did this correct.

Attachments

• photo316440.jpg
    photo316440.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Might be a shattered Hub, once you get the prop off, you will now.

brian102

Seaman Apprentice
what does everyone recommend for a new one? assuming we have some good vendors on here to buy from?

ahicks

Captain
If you were happy with the prop you have before this issue, just replace it with an identical.

Otherwise, need a LOT more info.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As you haven't posted any wot rpm achieved with that prop or knowing anything about it before going into spun territory it's not a good idea going per same exact prop...Wot rpm achieved as loaded is all for any motor, the rest is pure tech speculation.. A happy prop doesn't mean it's the correct one to get the max out of your boating requirements...

Happy Boating

brian102

Seaman Apprentice
I will try to figure out what my rpm range is now..it’s hard to tell because under heavy load it spins the rpm out of control.. it’s done this since the day we bought it

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I will try to figure out what my rpm range is now..it’s hard to tell because under heavy load it spins the rpm out of control.. it’s done this since the day we bought it

With a 100% spun prop it's impossible to check that out doesn't matter if lightly or heavily loaded. Check if possible to repair the hub and test same prop to know if your motor runs middle to max wot rpm range as usually loaded.

It's always a good idea to check achieved wot revs with new factory delivered props and when buying second hand combos, that way when in need to replace existing prop can buy same or go to a generally less pitch prop maximization to get the max out of your motor.

Happy Boating