Prop on a 2015 Ranger Z518C w/200 Optimax xs

Joepapar

Seaman
I'm running a 2015 Ranger Z518C with a 200 Merc. Opti XS. The prop on there now is a tempest plus 24 pitch. It's been suggested to me that I look into switching to the Fury. It I do go in that direction, any thoughts on whether I should stay with a 24 pitch or move to a 25 pitch. Anyone with any experience or feedback on this please let me know. Don't have a whole lot of experience with props, just the minimum.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
love these boats. Incredibly quick things.
What is she running like just now with your current set up ?
whats the rpm and top speed gps ? If you have smart craft, best take the rpm from there. Pin point accurate then.
Then can get her dialled in. Tempest plus is likely just as good as a fury...but see more and more of these things running a fury now. Like the nitro boats with similar set ups.

Joepapar

Seaman
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this one doesnt have the smart craft. Just got the boat a couple months back and have only been able to get to WOT once and that was for a very short period. It looks to be around 6700 rpm but I'm only in the low 60s. A dealer checked manual jackplate height and said it was where it should be. I'm think I'll be able to to run it friday so maybe I can get more firm numbers but that's what I saw so far.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
If you’re really at 6700rpm, you can probably afford to go up to a 25P on a fury, possibly a 26. Your WOT max rpm should be 5750, but I also know that a lot of guys are claiming to run at 6200-6300 without issue. If it were me, I’d go with a 26p fury from a place that will let you exchange props (most retailers won’t let you do this, but a few will). See what it does for you. If it gives performance you’re happy with, keep it. If 26 is too much, swap it for a 25p.

Are you able to adjust your manual jackplate yourself? As a rule, I don’t trust boat dealers to be anything but lazy. And before dropping $600-$800 on a new prop, I’d want to see what my current setup does in every possible configuration which means I’d raise the engine up an inch and see what it does, and then I’d drop it an inch. (FWIW, I’d try lowering it first, because that should lower your rpm and possibly improve your speed if up too high already). Your current data puts you at 25% or higher slip. Now I don’t know how much slip is normal on bass boats with props that run at the surface, but from just plugging in a bunch of numbers, it seems they run more slip than other boats.

But if it sounds like too much work, try a 26p fury from a place that does swaps. (I know of one in Florida who does.). Also keep in mind that mercury now has a Fury4 four blade for guys who run heavy bass rigs.

Joepapar

Seaman
I'm sorry, 6700 was a typo on my part. I'm around 5700 rpm WOT, low 60s mph. I'm thinking I should be able to get somewhere in the mid to high 60s with still a decent hole shot. You're right, 5750 should be max at WOT.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Then forget a 26p fury. You can probably get away with a 25p fury. The fury loses a bit of diameter compared to the tempest, and the mercury promo video specifically claims an increase in speed over the tempest. I would still buy it from a place that will let you exchange it if the pitch is off. I would also play around with the jackplate height to really dial it in. The optimum height for one prop will not necessarily be the same for another.

Joepapar

Seaman
I think I'll start with playing around with the jackplate height and see what the optimal height will get me. Once I get there, I can decide if I want to dump the money on a new prop. Thanks for the feedback.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
That's always the first thing to do. If the engine is too low in the water, you'll have to lower the prop pitch to compensate for the extra drag. One should always start with getting the engine height right before even attempting to find the right prop.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Having not the luxury of these boats in the U.K. I’m not sure what this boat should perform like really. I know they are silly quick with relatively normal HP though. What are others similar doing gps. 60 odd seems fast to me...but I know the similar nitro hulls are at 70 with 225-250hp

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You know. With a 200 that’s not at all bad to be in the 60’s gps. Things are marginal at these speeds. God knows im well aware with my own boat. Even having a few extra gallons of fuel will set my boat scrubbing speed. The bow cushions upholstery will scrub soles from mine too. Believe it or not...mine is also a bit quicker in a slight chop compared to flat calm. Let’s the hull get more air under it and the flat running pad works so much better then. Tiny things can see a couple mph change in speed at anything over 60.

Joepapar

Seaman
From what I'm seeing and hearing, mid to high 60s gps from rigs that are tweaked in. That's typically two people, plenty of gas, fully loaded.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
From what I'm seeing and hearing, mid to high 60s gps from rigs that are tweaked in. That's typically two people, plenty of gas, fully loaded.

I can understand that and you’re probably right...but the internet is full of optimistic boasting in terms of guys and how fast their boats are, haha.

Joepapar

Seaman
I'm sure you're right in some instances. I got a chance to run it yesterday, topped out at 63 mph at around 5650 to 5700 rpm, 2 people, fully loaded. Kind of hard to get a dead on rpm number without smartcraft kit.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah. Was reading a review with same set up. Said 67 mph topped out. 200hp. Prop and conditions make things marginal at these speeds.

Joepapar

Seaman
I was back out today. Calm water conditions. 64.4 mph at WOT. 2 people, fully loaded. I think I'm pretty close now. A little tweaking with motor height and prop should get me there.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I was back out today. Calm water conditions. 64.4 mph at WOT. 2 people, fully loaded. I think I'm pretty close now. A little tweaking with motor height and prop should get me there.

That’s better eh. Probably right on the money with 2 up and full of gear etc.