88 force 125 prop selection

Jshankland3269

Recruit
I’m a total noob here but I’m looking to get a budget friendly prop for my boat. It’s a Bayliner Cobra with a 1988 force 125. I’m a little confused on finding the correct prop. I use the boat for pulling a tube (usually have 4-5 people on the boat so it’s heavy) and for just running around the lake at top speed. I do know I have the single exhaust and the RPM range is 4500-5500. With all the different options for size, pitch, and blade count I’m lost. My current prop is a 4 blade solas 13.25x13 and I feel like the top speed just isn’t there. Boat tops out at 35mph. Any help in selecting the correct prop is very appreciated. Thanks

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Unlike an auto, there's just one gear on an outboard. so you will need 2 props. one for pulling power with a low pitch, which you already have, and one with a higher pitch for max speed. Or find an in between that you can live with.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What wot rpm is the motor achieving on flat calm water cond when with 5 up and pulling a water toy to determine if current prop is doing its homework right between middle to max wot rpm range factory stated.

It's a bad idea boating, pulling water toys and or skiing at same time, much worse if highly loaded and running a prop not top maximized for such practice.

Happy Boating

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
We are used 13-1/8 x 15p on our force 125 engines and both boats did 37-38 mph. One our boats was a 1988 cobra as well. Michigan match makes one that will fit your boat depending on whether or yours is through hub exhaust or not. Both ours used the 072055.

I reread the post and you have single exhaust so that will work. But the thrust washers are slightly different. Pm me if you want we had these boats for 20 years

Last edited:

88CobraBro

Recruit
I’m a total noob here but I’m looking to get a budget friendly prop for my boat. It’s a Bayliner Cobra with a 1988 force 125. I’m a little confused on finding the correct prop. I use the boat for pulling a tube (usually have 4-5 people on the boat so it’s heavy) and for just running around the lake at top speed. I do know I have the single exhaust and the RPM range is 4500-5500. With all the different options for size, pitch, and blade count I’m lost. My current prop is a 4 blade solas 13.25x13 and I feel like the top speed just isn’t there. Boat tops out at 35mph. Any help in selecting the correct prop is very appreciated. Thanks
Howdy - we have the same boat and I had the same question. What prop did you end up with?