Prop pitch and diameter for mercruiser 3.0 alpha w alpha one outdrive

Ed Harris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 15.5 X 17 on the Wellcraft and got like 36 mph at WOT 4400 rpms. Switched it to the one mentioned above and it put a little more pressure on my engine. Still original motor. I noticed a little oil leaking from somewhere around the timing cover so this more pitch put a little more backpressure in the crankcase is what I am thinking. I only ran it up to WOT to see what it would do coming back to the launch. I spent most of the ride around 3100 to 3200 trimmed up running. I have pulled this motor once to rebuild the front motor mount box and dont really want to pull it again but if I have to at least it is not a beast of a job.

Guymontag

Seaman Apprentice
Do you think the 13.5 23p will be easier on the motor and able to keep me at 30 with a lower rpm? I ran it at 3800 rpm at 30 with the 14 23p at 25 -30 mph but if you guys think I could get the same speed at a lower rpm? What a pita other then buying each prop and trying them. Bit of a science balancing safe to. With top speed

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,..... If that's actual rpms,.... that's Perfect,......

Meaning your 14 X 23 getting you 4800 Rs.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to pull a tube or skiers. Don't worry about cruising speed, WOT speed and all the rest of it. Think of it as cruising RPM (about 3000, maybe a little less as long as your fully on plane) and WOT RPM.

Guymontag

Seaman Apprentice
That's what I mean if I'm at 3000rpm I'm only doing like 20 that's , point for the 3.0?

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Where are you located? I’ve got a 23P Quicksilver lightspeed (laser2) I don’t use.

Yeah, unfortunately the only way to know for certain how a prop will perform is to buy it and test it on your boat. If you’re lucky, you can sometimes borrow them.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a lovely boat but something is giving you wrong info for sure. The numbers don’t make good sense to me. Either your rpm gauge is out, your mph basis....or you have a 4.3 disguised as a 3.0, haha.