40 HP Tracker Force by Mercury prop question .

Barryy

Cadet
I am replacing the prop on my 40hp Force which is on a Fishin Barge 21 pontoon . The numbers on my prop are 48-85632-11 which as far as I can determine is a 10 1/2 inch 11 pitch . A friend of mine has a new 10.62inch 12 pitch . How would the increased pitch affect it ?

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Extra top speed and a slight decrease in RPMs. What are you hitting WOT now?

ahicks

Captain
It would depend on how your engine is handling the prop you have. The bigger prop may be fine if your engine is turning up toward the engine's max rpm/red line. If it seems sluggish with the prop you have now, it'll be even more sluggish with the prop you're looking at.

Barryy

Cadet
Its turning 5000 RPM . The boat doesn't have the speed it had a few years ago . This new prop is the same diameter as my old prop . It's the increase in pitch that has me concerned . Could it damage my motor ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I am replacing the prop on my 40hp Force which is on a Fishin Barge 21 pontoon . The numbers on my prop are 48-85632-11 which as far as I can determine is a 10 1/2 inch 11 pitch . A friend of mine has a new 10.62inch 12 pitch . How would the increased pitch affect it ?

What is the WOT RPM range for your engine. Usually. it is prefered to select a prop that allows the engine to run in the higher end of that range

A drop in RPMs, slower holedhot. As for top speed, probably slower. If the boat isn't performing like it used to, figure out why. Boats, like people, tend to gain weight as they age, more junk on board, trapped water. Hulls also get distorted, have growths.

If you friend is willing to let you try the prop, then you will be certain as to how it will perform.

In the 47+ years I have been running boats, I have found swapping props, of the same Lineage, usually resulted in a top speed within 1 - 1 1/2 mph of each other, the main differences being holeshot. However, switching to a Higher performing model/lineage of Prop and the changes in engine mounting permitted, did result in higher top speeds. Sometimes the different prop lineage also changed how the boat rode/handles too.

Barryy

Cadet
Thanks for everyones input . I have the boat out of the water now for a cleaning . So I will put the 12 pitch on it and see how it woks .