Jack plate vs tilt n trim

tramsdell

Banned
Hey guys kind of a noob question...

first off i am in the prop section because this has alot to do with prop, of theres a more appropriate place, admin please go ahead and move it. I have a 18ft starcraft alum. Fishing boat, transom is in good shape and im looking to repower... whilst id love to get a newer outboard with tnt, budget may require me to get an older motor with manual tilt for the time being. This boat has a large splash well and i use it in some tough areas where ot gets skinny or stumpy on occasion, manual tilt is a BEAR. I have been looking at various power trim units as well as hydraulic jack plates. Obviously if one has to choose between trim or jack, most would say trim, but since i eventually want to get a motor with integrated power trim n tilt, i am considering a hydraulic jack plate. My thoughts are that with enough setback i can set the manual trim pin and use the jackplate to achieve correct prop depth while underway and easily raise the skeg up in the shallows or while beaching the craft... and i'd just use the manual tilt to trailer the boat.

my concern is that a jackplate may not give enough lift range to have good prop bite AND decent clearance but i have no experience with jackplates and it seams a lot could be done with 10 inches of setback.

Intended uses are fishing, tubing, and tending decoys (hunting from a layout boat)
looking at motors in the 75-100hp range.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW.... most flat boats have both. jack plate and TNT.

ahicks

Captain
I'm going to assume you are considering a jack plate that would allow trimming height while under way? If so, considering the expense of something like that, I would re-power. If you sell your engine and take that money and add it to what this jack plate idea is going to cost, you shouldn't have any problem coming up with a newer engine that's equipped with tnt. Further, the OEM tnt is lighter, less bulky, and much more reliable, in my experience anyway.

tramsdell

Banned
I'm going to assume you are considering a jack plate that would allow trimming height while under way? If so, considering the expense of something like that, I would re-power. If you sell your engine and take that money and add it to what this jack plate idea is going to cost, you shouldn't have any problem coming up with a newer engine that's equipped with tnt. Further, the OEM tnt is lighter, less bulky, and much more reliable, in my experience anyway.
Yes on the fly jacking, but i guess i wasnt clear. I am repowering, the old motor is just inadequate. My concern is an older manual trim motor can be had for under 500 bux, and its gonna be 2500ish for a newer power tilt that's what i want more permanently. So 1000 beans for a jackplate would be still a conaiderable savings at this juncture, and i know i can sell the 500 dollar motor later on to go toward the better motor. I guess my biggest question is " will the jack plate give enough range to not need to tilt in the shallows, yet still grab clean water on plane ?"

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’m confused.... you can buy a new to you 75Hp motor with OEM trim and tilt for roughly the same money your quoting for just trim and tilt.

How deep of water are you planning on running? I’m good to 18” running tilt in a much larger, heavier boat.

Different prop designs like to run at different depth. A jack plate is a means of fine tuning a props depth for optimal performance, typically on high performance boats.

Since your not in a performance situation or run multiple props, your best bet is to get a motor with T&T and call it good.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We have had a couple different JP's on 14-16 ft aluminum boats. We have adjusted, and even tried different JP's, to get the outboard where it needs to be for running, and getting into shallow water. So I think it depends on what unit/setup you end up with. On your biggest question, I think it is possible. But I'd say get what you want "permanently" up front and start enjoying it sooner rather than later - then again, if cash flow won't allow that in your mind - you gotta do what you gotta do

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I agree, you can get a new to you (used) motor in great shape with factory TNT for about $1000. powered jack plates can be found used for as low as $300

tramsdell

Banned
I agree, you can get a new to you (used) motor in great shape with factory TNT for about $1000. powered jack plates can be found used for as low as $300

Factory tnt motors in that price range are not found in my area, the cheapest ive found was 1200 and it needed major wprk and no controls

if trim is that much better to have then i can get the cheap motor and a 700 dollar hydraulic trim unit and be about 1200 into it. Maybe id find that im satisfied with that setup and it may become permanent? Maybe if i find what im ultimately looking for in a couple seasons, i can sell the aftermarket tnt and buy a jackplate to have both?

tramsdell

Banned
We have had a couple different JP's on 14-16 ft aluminum boats. We have adjusted, and even tried different JP's, to get the outboard where it needs to be for running, and getting into shallow water. So I think it depends on what unit/setup you end up with. On your biggest question, I think it is possible. But I'd say get what you want "permanently" up front and start enjoying it sooner rather than later - then again, if cash flow won't allow that in your mind - you gotta do what you gotta do

Thats the thing, there's not the cash flow this year to get a tnt injected motor... theres other needs in the budget rn alot of one time stuff that wont be there next season. And doing nothing isn't an option because the 30hp that came with this boat is inadequate to the point of being a safety concern.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Factory tnt motors in that price range are not found in my area, the cheapest ive found was 1200 and it needed major wprk and no controls

look outside your area.

I picked up a motor in Missouri a few years back and I live in FL because it was a good deal. dont be afraid to spend $300 on gas to save $1500 or more

tramsdell

Banned
look outside your area.

I picked up a motor in Missouri a few years back and I live in FL because it was a good deal. dont be afraid to spend $300 on gas to save $1500 or more

Solid advice. I found a couple i like within driving range, but they are from the 70's. Idk can old evinrudes be considered reliable?

i should have specified earlier : i only want johnson/evinrude for many reasons

ahicks

Captain
Thats the thing, there's not the cash flow this year to get a tnt injected motor... theres other needs in the budget rn alot of one time stuff that wont be there next season. And doing nothing isn't an option because the 30hp that came with this boat is inadequate to the point of being a safety concern.

So you are talking an injected OMC, in what price range? Or am I missing/misunderstanding?

70's stuff is getting pretty old, and part supplies are drying up for them. Carbed engines, once sorted out, usually stay that way as long as you're willing to take care of them, and are MUCH less expensive to work on as a rule, as many owners can do their own work. Not so much with the fuelies....

For what you want to do I would be shopping for an 85, 88, or 90 hp. They're pretty much all the same engine. As long as you don't need it for a trip you're leaving on tomorrow, you should have plenty of time to track one of those down that will suit your purposes. Even with tnt, something pretty decent should be no more than 1500 tops.

tramsdell

Banned
So you are talking an injected OMC, in what price range? Or am I missing/misunderstanding?

70's stuff is getting pretty old, and part supplies are drying up for them. Carbed engines, once sorted out, usually stay that way as long as you're willing to take care of them, and are MUCH less expensive to work on as a rule, as many owners can do their own work. Not so much with the fuelies....

For what you want to do I would be shopping for an 85, 88, or 90 hp. They're pretty much all the same engine. As long as you don't need it for a trip you're leaving on tomorrow, you should have plenty of time to track one of those down that will suit your purposes. Even with tnt, something pretty decent should be no more than 1500 tops.

OMC ficht or brp injection would be nice i have had carbed engines forever and it just seams like less maintenance to have injection. Maybe not? I'm concerned about the older stuff because thinks like lower units are getting harder to find parts for. Maybe its because im out of season but there's nothing on rhe market rn from the 90s, i wouldnt mind a v4 from the 90s, in fact it would be ideal. But where are they all?

i found a 77 evinrude v4 135hp ptt for 800bux, which seems nice but its over 40 years old!

tramsdell

Banned
Something like this is what i want(even tho its carbs), but this is about the average price im seeing and what leads to my budget restriction:

ahicks

Captain
As you suspect, I think the seasons are working against you. Here in Fl. there are plenty of engines for sale. Including stuff you can use. I would just be hesitant to suggest buying anything you haven't seen in person.

Like Scott suggested, I have nothing against a "road trip" if the price makes the trip worth it.

I work on Honda 40-90hp engines as a hobby/something to do, and to make a little mad money (retired). I'm constantly on the road chasing down major parts (short blocks, power heads, lower units) or looking for the next project. That drive is part of the fun for me! You need to be careful though, of engines from this area (Central FL) that have been neglected, even if they've never been run in salt water. There are MANY freshwater lakes and rivers here that are so full of lime, they might just as well be operating in salt water! So engines for sale? Sure, plenty of them. Are the inexpensive ones a good buy? Maybe! -Al

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The riskiest thing about a JP is, with some props you can run the engine high enough to starve the water intakes.

tramsdell

Banned
I think ya'll have convinced me to go ptt even if i have to go with a vintage i wasnt wanting to have.

tramsdell

Banned
Update: I bought a 110 carbed motor with PTT, went a little older and a little more beat up than i wanted but i will have PTT and plenty of power and i can add a jackplate later on. Its a 1987 johnson V4 but now i have to pick a prop, wheres a good place to start? 17? Of it was just me fishin' i think maybe 19, but being that I'm "the friend with a boat" im sure ski rope duty will be more frequent so 17? Am i way off?