Lightened boat, same speed?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott, you sure know the Sarasota-Bradenton area! If I can't order a long block with the roller cam and RMS block (Vortec heads is a given), then I'll do something else. There are at least three reputable engine/ head machine shops here which I've learned about. I'm going to choose one and see if they'll put together an engine with the specs you recommend. I'm not talented enough to do it, nor do I have some of the right tools. I can find the native engine at LKQ (delt with them a number of times), and also get the cam. The shop could create the heads, etc.

I'm no longer a man of means (by any means) so I'll have to stick to a stingy budget ... but it seems that the custom built engine could end up being affordable even with the machine shop work -- and I'd know what I have. Thanks.

Yows automotive is no longer building motors. Jerry built my motor as a favor to his nephew Scott (Inovation Marine)

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
Yows built a strong 327 sbc for me in 1987 to put in my '66 Chevy step side pickup. The truck had the 327 originally. In great shape, I bought it at an auction in San Antonio, TX for $800.

LAWRENCE Owen

Seaman
More neophyte questions:
Concerning the intake manifold for the (Vortec) heads: does it have to be marine designated? Could I choose an Edelbrock standard spread bore manifold and use brass or stainless fasteners ... and even paint it to curb corrosion?

Also, what are the thoughts about aluminum vs cast iron. thanks!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes, it has to be marine unless you have a heat exchanger and are fresh water cooled. The salt would eat the aluminum in short order. Edelbrock offers marine versions as edelbrock is cast by barr, the same company thst casts marine intakes for Volvo, Ilmore, and PCM as well as others

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Check ebay for factory Volvo manifolds. I picked a new one up dirt cheap on fleabay in 2012 when i refreshed my sbc