can someone identify interchangeable hub propeller system

MAXF

Recruit
I have the propeller system in the attachment. The application is a mercury 120hp, 13 x 17 RH, 3 blade propeller. I am looking to replace the current propeller, but I am not able to identify the interchangeable hub system (there are no part numbers stamped, etc.). Can someone help?

Attachments

• photo305264.jpg
    photo305264.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You are getting a new prop? Then get the hub for the new prop from the prop manufacturer, they are less than $50.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
This is an old fixed type and outdated hub. Prettt sure the new merc props like black max with flo torq flex hubs will go right on there. Just need the details of existing prop. Diameter and pitch...or I’m sure someone can advise a good starting point once some details are shared.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. Just realised you have the details. Yeah, your 120hp merc is likely mated to a pre alpha drive...some one will tell me the name of them soon, no doubt. Should be able just to stick a black max merc 17” prop on it. Is it 15 spline ?

MAXF

Recruit
Thanks, everyone so far, for the replies. I am kind of fond of this hub system, and I purchased it, originally, for the purpose of having an interchangeable prop, and, now, that I am due for a propeller replacement, that does not sound great that the hub may be obsolete! The shaft adapter is for a 15 spline (mercury) outboard (gear case), not the I/O. The propeller finish, of the unit at hand, was also unusual - not the typical black paint, but a light grey color and more durable coating that did not peel easily...

Bondo

Staff member
I am kind of fond of this hub system, and I purchased it, originally, for the purpose of having an interchangeable prop, and, now, that I am due for a propeller replacement, that does not sound great that the hub may be obsolete! The shaft adapter is for a 15 spline (mercury) outboard (gear case), not the I/O.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Lotsa Great ideas didn't turn out so well,.....

If it didn't take off, obsolete, is obsolete,....... I've never seen one,....

Merc propshafts are all the same, 'tween the large outboards, 'n I/Os,.....

Bikestdy

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like an old Turning Point or could be Combo prop which from what i understand is now turning point. I got one in my garage i can post a picture of once i get home. You'll have to get a new hub and prop. I just had to do the same on my boat.

Last edited:

MAXF

Recruit
Understood, that the system is obsolete, although I do not know how that happened in a shorter order of time! Would still be nice to identify this system and its details...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
been doing marine work since 1970 and have never seen that type of hub

Bikestdy

Seaman Apprentice
It is a Turning Point hub and appears that is was only available from 99 to 04 (some where between 11 and 14-19 years ago, that is not that short of a time before it went obsolete). You can watch Turning Points timeline video to see a picture of that hub at the 49sec mark. Here is the link to the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj-d-SlM-ew . Here are the pictures of what I have. I think that I left my 2nd Combo Prop hub and spare prop in my boat which is in storage, I can get a pic in a few weeks if someone would want to see it. The hub on the right in the pictures is the first hub system and the one on the left is what you have. Both props pictured are for the hub on the left. And the second picture is your second way of identifying, if it has the vent holes it is a Turning Point as that is something that only they have done on their aluminum props. So as we said your going to need a new prop and hub.

Attachments

• 20181206_223141.jpg
    20181206_223141.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181206_224255.jpg
    20181206_224255.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181206_223200.jpg
    20181206_223200.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bikestdy

Seaman Apprentice
And here is why I call that other hub design a Combo Prop/Turning Point for any that are interested.

Attachments

• 20181207_071533.jpg
    20181207_071533.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

MAXF

Recruit
Well, thanks for that reference, Bikestdy! The timeline makes sense as well.

Bikestdy

Seaman Apprentice
If there is some good news, it is that the manufacturers have all switched to a common design (though each has a variation to the execution of the hub ex: one piece/hub molded to insert, rubber hub with brass insert, composite hub with molded in brass). They all can be used on the competitors props, Mercury, Solas, Michigan Wheel, and Turning Point all share the same design and can all be used on each others props. So you can now switch prop brands and use what ever brand hub (of the new design) that you already have keeping you from being locked into a particular prop brand.

And as Texasmark said in this post, https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...ade-to-4-blade

"The problem I personally have with the hub is that it's made of plastic and brass/bronze. The rubber hub slips and reseats itself when striking an object. On the plastic/metal hub, there is nothing to give as the outer diameter is locked to the prop and the inner locked to the prop shaft.......walla, plastic all over everything.......dead in the water........just like back in the days of the shear pin. No thanks!!!!!!!"

As he states Turning Point uses a composite hub.
For this reason I bought a Solas Rubber hub (and I figure a rubber hub will help dampen a hit over a composite hub) with my Turning Point prop and it fits fine.

Last edited: