Need a tach tool for testing RPM's 2 and 4 stroke (And others)

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully my post isnt in the wrong place, figured prop section would know of a tach tool that had ACCURATE readings.

Looking for a tach tool that I can set/check 2 and 4 stroke outboards I work on. Plus if it can do other small engines too that would be good(ie: mowers,chainsaws,weedeater,ect).

I had a Actron CP7529 but only used it twice and it was stolen. Never got to see if it was accurate, but both motors dialed in good.

Was looking at a ES EZ Tach Plus 328, because I never really used the light feature.

Maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Light feature a nice option to have? Any other features I should look out for?

Again hopefully my post isnt in the wrong place.

Thank You for your time/help,
DamianJP [h=1][/h]

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a photo tach from amazon. I think it was $11

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Scott is this the one?
Hows the no contact readings?

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Phot...762394&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=photo+tach&psc=1

QBhoy
Iv'e been hearing this aswell.

Can these units handle idle speed screw adjustments, and other tests too?

Not looking for a permanent tach on motor, just a test tool I can use for 2-4 stroke outboards (And other small engine and automotive work).

If they can , I need to grab one.

Thank You big time guys,
DamianJP

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For outboard use, would like to see anyone pointing a tach lasser against a flywheel with removed cowl while boat is running at full throttle. Are only good for idle adjustments or running full wot revs inside a test tank with a special test prop.

A Hardline induction tach HR-8061-2.model will be more suitable, esay to install and remove. Good for 2-4 strokes OB's and max 2 cylinder engines. Measures all the rpm range at all throttle settings, ideal for prop maximizations and records hour of use.

If wanting to test more cylinder engines than 2 and up to 8 cylinders, will need model : HR-8062-2

Check Iboats, Amazon for them...

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Doea take 2 people to check OB WOT.

harringtondav

Commander
Even if you purchase "Hardline induction tach HR-8061-2" for the WOT O/B check, I'd pick up an inexpensive photo tach per Scott Danforth. They are accurate and very versatile. Especially when you are tweaking in a small engine governor for rated rpm, checking electric motor speeds, etc.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well, OP didn't say a word about Electric Motors, he stated "Looking for a tach tool that I can set/check 2 and 4 stroke outboards I work on. Plus if it can do other small engines too that would be good(ie: mowers,chainsaws,weedeater,ect)"

My guess is that if on a budget or wanting to spend the least on a tach will definitely go per the first option...

Happy Boating