propeller testing quicksilver 605 pilothouse 115HP

Aligator

Cadet
Hi,

Even alone on the boat (quicksilver pilothouse 605 with a Mercury 115HP) it takes too much time to plan.
With tree persons on board, it is not possible to plan.
I made some tests with a different prop.

Here two videos (alone on board):

before (wind in the back, 3 blades aluminium 15 pitch) https://youtu.be/ddu7NctuNz8

after (4 blades Stainless steel 13 pitch) https://youtu.be/IG79zYdy9yg (the sudan short rpm decrease is voluntary)

Planing starts at 25km/h !

As the SS prop vibrates below 1000rpm, I'm not going to buy an SS prop. what alminium prop would you suggest ?

Thanks,
Serge

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
First of all. is the engine running properly? Vibration at lower speeds is often a misfire. The lack of power is another symptom

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What RPMs is the engine attaining at WOT? What is the WOT RPM range for that engine? SS props do not cause vibration, any more or less than an AL prop. Is the prop damaged as to cause the vibration? Bent blades, or an out of balance prop will do so regardless of the material

Aligator

Cadet
*** The video work now. ***

The SS prop is not damaged, vibrations only below 1000rpm.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like you're turning right at 6000 rpm with the 15p prop. I'd try a 15P 4 blade prop like the Solas Amita 4 Should get you on plan a little faster and lower rpm just a little. But Since you know your boat better than me you should use the Mercury prop selector above and then go from there.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
From watching the videos, it looks like you’re getting better performance from the stainless prop.

With the stainless you’re hitting 6000rpm and it looks like 44-45km/h.
with the aluminum you’re also hitting 6000rpm but only 40km/h.

The stainless clearly accelerates better as well.