Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14' Mirrocraft & 20hp Johnson prop selection help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmbo View Post
    In theory the centerline of the propshaft should be perfectly perpendicular to vertical when boat is moving. In reality that doesn't always provide highest top speed. Experimentation will reveal that. Higher trim settings may result in ventilation when engine id turned to steer boat.
    Higher engine heights will also increase risk of Ventilation, especially when there is a pronounce Keel, like the one on your boat. Higher engine heights also reduce the ability to raise the bow at any give trim.

40 yrs ago we had a couple of Mirrocraft Deep Fishermen 14 footer(I think yours is a Resorter). The engines(25 on one, 35 on the other) were mounted right on the transoms. When running solo I had to keep the engine trimmed all the way to reduce porpoising. When loaded, we would reset the tilt pin to 2 or 3 away from the transom
    Thanks for the info!! I'll keep that in mind once I get some time on the water next spring. Yes, mine is a Resort 14' and so far its a significant upgrade one the 12' Harborcraft I had before, at least for what I want out of it. Hoping to clean it up and paint it the winter and maybe reconfigure the rear bench to a set of side benches instead.

Comment

we have a 14 foot springbok (1959) with a 1989 johnson 20hp and we are running a 10x15 prop.i don,t have a tach but with one body in the boat you could tell it was overreving.i put on a 4 blade 10x15 propand it sounds normal now.speed loss was minimal.

Comment

I consider a 15" too much prop. Without a tach it is pretty much impossible to know what rpm it was attaining. A 3 blade 13" would probably have been the correct choice for that combo

Comment

Working...
        X