Out board hp size advice

ahicks

Captain
I had a BB Sanger that would run hands off at WOT as well, but you damn well better have a close eye on the water in front of you regarding the throttle! Even with a rev limiter....

That's not what we're talking about here though. We're talking about a 16' outboard. I've spent nearly my entire life on the water, and spent quite a while working in a marina. Point being, I've driven a LOT of different boats, many of which were pretty quick boats. I've had the crap scared out of me MANY times. Point being, it's little boat's like the one we're talking about here that scared me most often.

This leads me to advise on the side of caution when it comes to power. Telling somebody asking questions about a boat like this that they should go with the biggest engine that will still let it float is reckless advice in my mind. Pure and simple. That's me though. Do as you like!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I had a BB Sanger that would run hands off at WOT as well, but you damn well better have a close eye on the water in front of you regarding the throttle! Even with a rev limiter....

That's not what we're talking about here though. We're talking about a 16' outboard. I've spent nearly my entire life on the water, and spent quite a while working in a marina. Point being, I've driven a LOT of different boats, many of which were pretty quick boats. I've had the crap scared out of me MANY times. Point being, it's little boat's like the one we're talking about here that scared me most often.

This leads me to advise on the side of caution when it comes to power. Telling somebody asking questions about a boat like this that they should go with the biggest engine that will still let it float is reckless advice in my mind. Pure and simple. That's me though. Do as you like!

Totally agree. People killed here every year by such things.
Silly advice for a novice.
Even experienced guys get caught out on occasions. Having been around boats for nearly 40 years now and having fairly quick ones for about 20 years, to include ring 18’s and my current boat...I got a fright revently whilst being silly and running alongside a friends supercharged ski.
We were running around mid 60’s with the ski just on my rear port side. I had the hood up and he was in my blind spot. I turned round trying to see where he was. The boat was aired right out. She’s stable at speed, being around 1400kgs and designed for it, but a failed to notice a wake from a long gone 40ft cruiser. Turned round and was faced with it. The boat went skyward. Nose dived after landing on the stern. If the hood wasn’t on the boat I would have been out it. Seats everywhere and the sun pad flew up.
Scary stuff.

Last edited: