Out board hp size advice

Odog

Cadet
Hey there crew how goes the battle..

shes starting to get a little chilly here in Ontario and starting to look at my project boat for the winter 1980 sidwinder super.. 16 foot

my question is I've found some info saying it's rated for 135hp.. now I want it to be quick but also not rebuilding it every month and would like some decent fuel mileage.. I know if your wfo your not out to save fuel but something that won't chew through fuel when putting around..

I've seen the tower of power merc 115 2 stroke.. don't know much about them but see lots..

what else should I consider? I'm thinking 2 stroke and nothing bigger the a 4 cylinder for the weight side of things.. I'm not putting a 2018 engine on it but would love some guidance before trial and error buying..

upgrades and prop can come after a decent engine set up to start. Thanks in advance

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If it is rated for 135, get a Merc V6 135 from the late 80s early 90s. Great engine, lots of torque, good speed and very good fuel economy. These engines being crank rated were very much the same engine the pre 1983 crank rated V6 150 hp

ahicks

Captain
A Sidewinder is going to chine walk if pushed hard. There's no way I would put over 100hp on that boat, I don't care what it's rated for. They work great with 85's.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A Merc 115HP TOP would look vintage, however, the inline Mercs are pretty long in the tooth.

If you do plan to go over 100HP, you will want to learn to drive it on a calm body of water, in case she has handling issues at high speed. A Johnny V4 or Merc IL4 with 100+ HP likely works well.

The V6 motors weigh a lot more, and give a bit more power, although the Merc 135HPV6 is a sweetie, as was mentioned.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Unless you're planning on rebuilding the boat - new transom, structure, etc., I'd stick with V4 or inline 6 power. A V6 is going to be considerably heavier - something the boat simply wasn't designed to handle when new. The Sidewinders weren't a padded hull, either, so high speeds can be dicey, as noted above.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have no problem bolting on a 125 or 135 Tower of Power or even the 150

with a rebuild of the transom, the 135 V6 would also be a good motor, however the extra weight will have the back of the boat squatting a bit more.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
V4 Yamaha, 115 or 130 would fit the bill awesomely.

ahicks

Captain
I guess I've been scared so bad often enough that I don't consider going fast in a 16' boat my cup of tea. If I want to go fast, it'll be with a 19 or 20' boat. They handle WAY WAY better at speed, and are MUCH more forgiving when/if something gets sideways. Seems like 16' boats are always looking for an excuse to hand you a piece of your butt....

ahicks

Captain
that is the truth.

<<<"I would have no problem bolting on a 125 or 135 Tower of Power or even the 150

with a rebuild of the transom, the 135 V6 would also be a good motor, however the extra weight will have the back of the boat squatting a bit more.">>>

Yet you'll suggest something like this when somebody (presumably a rookie) asks about how much power to put on a 16' boat - without any type of warning? Any of those engines will take a boat like this well into the danger zone.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The boat is rated for 135.

A 18/19foot is more stable and will handle more speed

Its not like the OP is putting a 2.5 or 3.0 on the back and hitting 100+mph

ahicks

Captain
Anything over about 40-45 in a 16' boat should come with very clear caution warnings. The boat will NOT be very forgiving, much less stable, at that speed....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the boat is rated for 135HP, it will be designed to handle that much power with a rookie driver. If not the OEM would face great liability. Production boats with standard power are designed for good handling and speeds of 40-45MPH, to keep the passengers safe, for new boat operators.;

I would power it with 115HP for sporty handling. For max performance, the 135HP Merc is the way to go.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
40 - 45HP on that boat will tun it into a plow horse, versus the thoroughbred that is was designed to be....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Think he meant speed wise. As in 40/45 mph ? Think so anyway. If not, yeah that would be silly đŸ˜‚.
I agree that rookies need to go easy sometimes. Nothing to do with the rating of the boat. It’s like saying a hydrostream is rated for 200+ HP and he will be fine. Not really đŸ˜‚

ahicks

Captain
You can always ignore warnings and learn the hard way. Then you get to drive around in a boat with an engine that has scared the heck out of you, and likely sits way lower in the water than necessary. MUCH more fun to have a much lighter engine that handles way better and can deliver all the speed you want - safely. Less stress on the transom while trailering and under way.

"Anything over about 40-45 in a 16' boat should come with very clear caution warnings. The boat will NOT be very forgiving, much less stable, at that speed...."

I think maybe Chris mis- read that. Clearly I am talking about speed.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
FWIW....My bud's '74 Switzercraft SuperHugger is only 16' long and had a 150 tower of power. it now has a 135 V6. the boat is extremely stable and will turn within its own length. great slalom boat that handles chop fairly well. could one get in trouble with it, yes....however you would almost have to try. the boat is made to run and we regularly do over 45. I still ski behind it once every few years, however I no longer slalom

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Anything over about 40-45 in a 16' boat should come with very clear caution warnings. The boat will NOT be very forgiving, much less stable, at that speed....
It depends on hull and driver......that hull with dual steering for safety and correct set up could be a easy 55+MPH with driver experience. My 16ft Texas tunnel with 496 BBC would run over 100MPH in the 1/4 mile and you could take hands off the wheel at speed...