Enertia Prop...Wow !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Well at long last, I managed to find a used enertia prop to try and buy for the boat.
Even with a few rough edges and a slight dink, all I can say is what an incredible thing this is. A complete exception to the rule and a different league from anything I’ve tried on her before.
Strange behaving prop in a good way.
Behaves differently than what others have advised it might do. That being that normally it will drop rpm slightly at wot and not give as much lift compared to other performance props like laser and enertia etc. Mine didn’t. It gained some rpm and defo lifts the boat out the water more than any other. Including the ballistic. Much more on the edge trimmed out at wot but worth it. Very smooth through the range too.
Nice work mercury and I’ll be buying a new one over winter. Just wish they weren’t so dear.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I picked up one as well during your absence. It will go to the prop shop to get sorted out this winter.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I thought about doing the same. Then wondered if my local guy could even do it. He would be used to Ally or stainless, even brass and bronze props...but what happens when it’s that X7 alloy that the enertia is made of ? There is a thought !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I thought about doing the same. Then wondered if my local guy could even do it. He would be used to Ally or stainless, even brass and bronze props...but what happens when it’s that X7 alloy that the enertia is made of ? There is a thought !!
X7 is 17.7 PH stainless

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I thought it was an alloy ? Not stainless. That’s how they manage the light weight and thinner blades ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I thought it was an alloy ? Not stainless. That’s how they manage the light weight and thinner blades ?
Marketing at its bst ;)
An “alloy” is simply a combination of two or more elements to form a metal. Carbon and stainless steels are alloys as are brass and most aluminums.

Its the downstream processing (anneal, temper and quench) that determines a metals final mechanical properties.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Marketing at its bst ;)
An “alloy” is simply a combination of two or more elements to form a metal. Carbon and stainless steels are alloys as are brass and most aluminums.

Its the downstream processing (anneal, temper and quench) that determines a metals final mechanical properties.

Totally agree, but how would your average joe prop shop get that alloy to repair ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the issue is the precipication hardened stainless alloys patina like regular steel when left to salt.

17-7 is less corrosion resistant than 17-4

Corrosion Resistance: 17-7 PH is suitable for use in fresh water, industrial and marine atmospheres, and mild chemical and oxidizing environments. 17-7 PH should not be used in salt water or reducing environments.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Glad you like the Enertia.

Yeah Jimbo. I should have listened to you a lot sooner. Incredible prop. Just couldn’t gamble on it given the price new. Lucky to pick up a used one cheap. Now going to go for a new one. Amazing things. Really surprised at the lift it has. Really need to be on the ball when running flat out.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I found it lifts the entire boat upwards, not just the bow. If over trimmed, it can really lift the bow too(in my ideabooks, there are a couple of pics of it and you can see the top of the outdrive. It's not over trimmed). The boat feels lighter. As for the price... well you do get what you pay for. 13 seasons on my Enertia

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Spot on Jimbo. Yeah. Like you say. The whole boat is lifted. Worth every penny I’d think. People over here just beginning to realise what they can do. Prices start at around £650 though. Usually closer to £700 !!!