looking at new prop- are hub kits the way to go?

cfcstl

Cadet
I have a 1984 Mercury black Max 150 and I want to change the pitch from 19 to 17. My old prop is a quicksilver 48 16316 A5. The new prop I am considering is the quicksilver silverado but it says I need a hub kit. So is this the smart way to go?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Whether or not it is smart way to go is not really a choice. These days almost all props are sold without the old Rubber Hub. This allows for:
1) Props by brand 'M' engine manufacturer to be used on almost all other brands of engines
2) 3rd party prop makers to offer props for almost all brands of engine without having a ridiculously large inventory
3) Keeps the price of the prop lower as the hub is not included, and often a new prop is cheaper than repairing an old one. The hubs usually survive the impacts better than the blades on an AL prop, not so much when dealing with stainless. They also offer less cushioning/flex when shifting into gear, you might notice this when you shift(more pronounced with heavier SS props)

Most 3rd party props can use the Merc FloTorque hub system, and vice versa, however there are some proprietary systems.

Switching from one model/line of prop to another, even if both are the same manufacturer, may result in performance results not quite expected. ie: The expected 200 rpm change per inch difference may not occur, it could be more it could be less. The boat may ride and handle different