Can you double up a thrust washer?

Chuckles88

Seaman
I picked up a spare prop that is older and has never been used. The front of the prop bottoms out. I have an extra thrust washer and when I double them up it seems to be enough of a spacer. Instinct tells me not to do this but......
Alpha 1 gen 1 trying to put a Michigan prop with the hub built into the prop on.
Thanks!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No, if you look at the id of the thrust washer, it fits on a taper. The extra one won't be on that taper, and be loose on the shaft, possibly damaging some expensive parts. Get the correct parts.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They are only designed to go together one way, if you have to do something extra, then something is not right.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How old is this "Old Prop"? In the late 70s/early 80s, Mercury redesigned their Props and mounting systems. Thrust washers changed and can not be mixed. Maybe that is what you are attempting. The service bulletins regarding it were on boatinfo.com, but that site is currently down for the count

Chuckles88

Seaman
I believe this is a prop from that era. It takes the thicker thrust washer. I found a washer for 65$. Not worth the hassle for that price

Chuckles88

Seaman
Good find. I searched for a while. Can I use the locknut from my flo torq 2? Prop back?

fishrdan

Admiral
Yes, you can use the Flo-torq lock nut. I use the tabbed washer also, so the nut isn't grinding on the prop hub, but the tabbed washer doesn't have anything to lock into, like on the Flo-Torq hub insert.