Help needed for Chrysler Prop

Mm44012

Cadet
I have a 1978 Chrysler 45hp kn a 1979 Chrysler 15' sport satellite. It runs great, but doesnt plane st all. It has I believe a 10.375 x 12.5 prop. With my wife and I on it we do about 19mph. Any more than that and we do like 12mph. I was thinking of going to an 11 pitch. Would a 10 pitch be too low? Is it a 10.375 14 spline prop? Any advice would be great.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Can you get it on plane with just you in it? If so, what's the speed and rpm of the engine at wot? AFAIK, the boat dry weight is 870# and rated for a max 75HP engine. A 45 should push it to about 25 mph assuming it's in good condition.

Mm44012

Cadet
I don't really trust the Tach on there. It reads like 3200 with wife and I WOT. I just got a 10 pitch for $20 it will be here early next week. Curious what kind of difference it makes. Being slightly underpowered I thought the lower pitch would help.

Maclin

Admiral
Yes, the lower pitch should help.

I have copied my previous post from your Boat Topics thread for (my) reference...

"You may be slightly underpowered, and over-propped.
I had a 1972 model of that boat, Sport Satellite 15.5 footer trihull, had a 55hp Chrysler. I think the boat was rated for 75hp. With an 11p prop it could do 29.9 (standing joke in my family) with 3-4 people. When I had a 12p prop on it if it was more than just me I had problems getting on plane. With the 11p and just me and 1 passenger it could get to top speed in 8 seconds."

Maclin

Admiral
I went to a 10 pitch and it was too much. An 11 for my 55hp was just right. I would guess the 10 will work much better than what you have now regarding your 45hp engine. I did some poking around here on iBoats, The top RPM range you should be getting to is about 5k rpm's, at above 20 closer to 25, depending on load and water conditions.

Now, regarding the trim, (and assuming no power trim!) there is a horizontal pin on the mount that the motor catches on, right?. That has different mounting holes. On mine I tried the closest one to the hull, and it planed well for a couple of seconds then it was obvious it was plowing, so that lasted about 10 minutes. I believe the second one out was what I settled on, the 3rd hole up tried to porpoise, and did not come out of the hole and plane as well. You need to experiment some. I tied a small heavy duty cord to the boat and that pin, did not want to drop it in the water.

Good luck!

p.s. my old '72 is still one of the favorites I have owned. With just the driver, I could get up on a slalom ski, took a while and had a specific technique. I weighed 250 at that time. Two skis was no problem, I even had two very trim skiers up at the same time with it, was a fun boat.

Mm44012

Cadet
Thanks Maclin. I'm hoping to get it on a solid plane. Just feels like it is doing more plowing than anything. I'll try the new prop next week when I get it, then play with the trim. Close to 25mph would be awesome at this point.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
First thing you should do is check the engine height. I get the best performance and ride with the av plate about 1" above hull bottom. But with you having so much problem getting on plane, I'd say you are definitely over proped.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What is the engines condition? Compression? Firing on both cylinders? Carb and spark synced?
Keep the Anti- ventilation plate even to an inch below the hull. The props for that engine are no where near a design that can handle any ventilation and need to be fully submerged.
I’ll have to dig up the rpm and gear ratio for that engine. But I think the rpm range is 4750 - 5250.
It is important to know what rpms you are getting currently

Mm44012

Cadet
Everything is good. I believe it is just under powered and over propped. New prop will be here by Tuesday. I'll change it out and see what it does.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The gear ratio is 13:21, and the WOT range is, I was wwwwrrooonnn..., mistaken. It actually is 5000 - 5500. Prop shipped with the engine was a 10 3/8" X 12 1/2". I suspect the engineers were expecting it to be put on 14 and 15 ft boats

Mm44012

Cadet
It is on a 15 ft trihull. The 10 pitch comes in tomorrow. I'm hoping to try it Monday. I hope it will get better results. I think an 11 pitch is the sweet spot, but we will see.

Mm44012

Cadet
Well a quick update. I finally got it out today but, it was a little rough. With 4 people and gear it hit 17mph. It was way better. Supposed to be calmer tomorrow. I will hopefully try it then. I think 25 should be easy to get now.