ratio help, mercrusier

mawfun

Recruit
Ok i bought a boat and have been scratching my head why it doesnt do what it is ment to.

It is a 2008 fountain 38ec. The boat came with little history, but thing i know, the bravo 3 drives failed with previous owner trying to water ski behind it. they have about 20hr on new bravo 3x drives, with 27XR 4x3 props. the boat has 2x 496ho, and the hull is stepped. The boat tests i ve found says i should be getting 60mph+. I dont know the ratio of the drives as the sticker has been propspeeded over. I am getting 54mph (GPS) at 5200 rpm(question on this in a second) but it continues to rev up to 5600-5700 before i pull it back, it doesnt seem to have a limiter.

So i obvisouly dont want to over rev, but the only prop higher pitched is a 28xr. Ive got a feeling this still wont be enough. I assume i have a 2.2 drive. otherwise the slip figures are up in the 17-18% this seems very high for a bravo 3, but i dont know. Do i bite the bullet and try change the drive ratio to a 2 or 1.81 ( i think it came with a 1.81, 25 pitch originally from what i can find on the internet,. I assume 2.2 units were put on it, so it was better a tow sports, but any other advantage?

Second issue on tach read outs, the livoris gauges annalogue looking, read about the same all the way up the rev range, the smart craft often has a 400rpm difference between engines at the same throttle position. which gauge is more accurate generally? if they are different is that a cause for concern?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Contact Fountain and see what they equipped the boat with, Ratios and Props. Why do you assume it currently has 2.2:1 gears?
As wonderful as the Bravo 3 and Volvo's Duo-Prop are, you are certainly limited when it comes to Propeller choices.

tpenfield

Staff member
I would think the Fountain originally came with Bravo 1 drives not the Bravo 3. The Bravo 1 drives are meant for go-fast.

mawfun

Recruit
Hi Jimmbo, The reason why thinking it is a 2.2 ratio is just the speed i can get out of it with 27p XR props with tach of 5200 with around 10% slip. If i had 2, i would be near 17% for same speed. Other owners they have told me theirs came with 1.81 and 25p props(with the 496HO), fountain i understand doesnt make this boat any more, and has since been bought by icon? i have emailed them but i dont get a response. Being based in New Zealand its not easy to phone with the time zone difference.

Tpenfield, yes you are right many of the lightings(the proper go fast) etc were bravo 1s. the 38ec is an express cruiser. and nearly all came with bravo 3, although some have since been changed to bravo 1s.