Stiletto Prop - pitch/size?

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know what these numbers mean for this prop? I have a '96 Celebrity with Ford 302. Outdrive is Cobra SX-C1 1.60. I googled and can't find anything to help determine what the numbers means. There is another part of the prop that just has the number 58 on it that I didn't bother posting a pic of.

I think my WOT rpm might be too high after checking the specs on the engine. Engine states 4800 WOT rpm. I'm going to drive it again by myself but swore last time it was a close to 5000 rpm. Plus, I want an extra prop regardless so in the interim wanted to verify current prop is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo299681.jpg
    photo299681.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
To me, 4800 sounds a little high for a Ford but... What is the recommended WOT range for that engine?

the prop in the pic is a 14" dia. and 21" pitch

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
To me, 4800 sounds a little high for a Ford but... What is the recommended WOT range for that engine?

the prop in the pic is a 14" dia. and 21" pitch

Max WOT RPM is 4400-4800 per the information label on the engine itself.

From the research I've done, higher pitch will result in lower top end but more punch out of the hole correct?

Attachments

• photo299756.jpg
    photo299756.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
+ 200 wot rpm over revving from max 5 K revs is nothing. if solo boating just throttle to max 3/4 throttle when trying to plane the combo. When dealing with more passengers than solo boating much preferred is engine running towards max wot rpm range, will have more passengers to cary at reduced rpm.

Less pitch usually achieves faster hole shot with slight top end speed decrease, not the opposite, don't know if same principle applies for that type of prop ? Just for the record, with 2 up make a new wot run on clam flat water cond, post achieved wot rpm. If around or under max wot rpm range, personally would stay with current prop.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Just have the prop cupped...will drop RPM and might pick up a MPH