Mariner Magnum 2 150hp prop fitment

dknl

Recruit
Are the propellers once installed correctly supposed to sit into the gearcase slightly (1/2 ") ?
Noticed on my original prop that it did but the replacement i got doesn't fit as the gearcase is smaller than the prop hub.
The shaft and hubkit is correct but the prop hits the gearcase instead ot sliding into it slightly.
If i screw it on like that, the prop doesnt spin since its pressed against gearcase. Thrust washer and hubkit are correctly installed.

If the prop end is not supposed to fit slightly into gearcase then do i need some sort of washer ontop of the thrust washer that helps to push prop out?
I'm thinking i need a prop that has an end smaller that fits my smaller gearcase which is approx 4.25".
The prop and hubkit i got to replace original was a Vortx 992005 that is meant for a 150hp Mercury / Mariner outboard.
That prop has an approx. tapered end towards gearcase of about 4.5"

Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Your engine, though it is V6, uses the smaller gear case and props that were used on the inline 6s

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To add to what Jimmbo has said, you need a prop with a smaller hub. Major prop OEMs should list your motor's props correctly, however, you should see them with the same stock number as the Merc inline 6 props from the early 70s to 1986 or so.

dknl

Recruit
Thanks for the help!
Makes sense now. Will look for small hubbed props.