Bow too high at launch, won't level out

romoguy15

Cadet
Start going thru the check list. My guess is either your down a cylinder, or you dropped a flapper

Okay, I will call the marina and have them check for misfires. I would be very surprised if a cylinder is down, you could put a quarter on top of it because it's so smooth. What is a flapper and where is it located?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Flappers are in the exhaust at top of Y-pipe

romoguy15

Cadet
Just a quick update, I spoke with a mechanic at the marina. He said engine is running smoothly, flappers are okay. We ordered a different prop with a 17 pitch. I will report back once I get it installed and tested.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Can make a better prop maximization if knowing what's the min-max wot rpm range factory stated for that engine ?

What still don't get is : Why is it that important to know the gear ration of any engine ? ain't jit just a matter to prop it right to run middle to max wot rpm range factory stated with engine running strong, currently deck weight evenly distributed and well trimmed ?

In other words, no one will go for a costly gear swap, lower leg swap for other gear ratio for an improvement when you can play extensively with 3-4 blade alum, SS props and their different pitches available or even re pitching to suit you recreational boating requirements, right ? What's the general consensus about this ?

Happy Boating

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I'd guess people wanted to know the gear ratio to calculate slip.

romoguy15

Cadet
Hello.

I wanted to provide a little update.
I installed a new 14x17 quick silver nemesis aluminum prop and man what a huge difference. Hole shot is significantly improved, I am able to plane much easier and acceleration has improved. I was able to reach 5000 rpm at WOT with a top speed of 42mph. This has solved my problem.