S prop size

Shovelhd

Recruit
i have a 2008 four Winn’s 20’ 5.0 220hp. Currently I have an aluminum black diamond prop 14 1/4 X 21P. The boat at WOT does 47mph at 4500 rpm. I am looking to upgrade to a stainless prop and would like more top speed and keep a quick hole shot. Any ideas on sizes? I did try a ss laser 2 that was 13 1/2 x 21P and I got tons of cavitation wich I am assuming is because of the diameter

alldodge

Staff member
The laser 2 is made for OB up to 125 hp, you need more diameter. I would stay with your original but go stainless. The prop is heavier but blades are thinner so there is less friction

Shovelhd

Recruit
I have heard Merc makes the best prop but what about Michigan Wheel? I was thinking about going with their Ballistic prop. Would I see improvement on top end with the same size prop just by switching to stainless

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't done a lot of testing with different props, but wouldn't put Merc above others. MW does fine so I've read. I have Mercs on both boats, and also have a Stiletto which is also made by Merucury that I use to use when pulling several skiers and it did great

Think you will see some performance improvements because stainless doesn't flex like aluminum