What The ....

I have a 2002 Yamaha F115TLRA 4 stroke, I ordered a Yamaha 13 1/4 X 17 prop and I can not get the castle nut down far enough to get the cotter pin in and I went a little over torque (60lbs). I need about two turns on the nut. My other props fit perfect, I don't get it. Any thoughts ??? and Yeah I am not a brain surgeon but I can install a prop correctly, if they fit...
Thanks for your help and replies
cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Did you get new hardware with the prop? Seems like a mismatch of thrust washer or long hub/short hub for this engine.

Maclin all I got was the Yamaha prop it came with no hardware, and I did no hardware change just cleaned all the pieces, seems like an eighth of an inch is all I need.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the max factory recommended torque for that prop ?

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
I'm suspicious of the thrust washer and the one that goes under the prop nut as well. It sounds to me like a very careful inspection of the old prop and the new are in order. I'm betting the new prop is made by somebody other than the one that made the original even though both have Yammi part numbers. Aggravating that no mention is made anywhere, but it would not be that unusual.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Dumb question: Is the thrust washer on the right way? They have a tapered side that needs to match the taper in the propshaft.

If that isn't the issue, you will likely need to order a thrust washer and or spacer from the maker of the prop, as OEM is not always compatible with aftermarket stuff.