Which Prop - 21' Skiff

Wsd1089

Recruit
Problem - when making very tight turns at moderate speeds (turning around to pick up a skier), my 115 Yamaha outboard would have a continuous beep and would throttle down. Most times I could go to neutral but sometimes I would have to cut the motor to get it to stop. Recently, I chewed up the prop a little on some oysters and the problem is much worse. When throttling up for too long, navigating rough water or turning tight, I feel the prop vibrate a little and the engine gives me the warning sound.

I've read this is an overheating warning, but it only happens when the prop is being flexed during a turn and I feel vibration. Hoping a new prop will fix.

Carolina Skiff DLV 218 (2013)
Yamaha 115 with aluminum 3 blade prop
13 1/4 X 15-K prop size
WOT - about 6300 at 37 MPH

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Since the prop is damaged it needs to be reworked at a prop shop. They will re-balance it and the vibration should clear up, just like a tire that is out of balance.

The tight turn and the beep could be that your motor is coming out of the water and pressure is dropping so the motor is letting you know. Need the Yam guys to comment, just my guess

Is the top of the ventilation plate even with the bottom of the hull?
When you turn tight might need to trim down to keep the prop from ventilating

Since your where in oysters it may also have sucked up some crud and damaged the impeller

ahicks

Captain
Assuming your engine is a 2 stroke, could you be turning hard enough where the oil in the oil tank is getting pushed to one side, causing the float to go low enough to signal a "low oil" warning?

You might try filling the oil tank to see if that helps your issue.

Wsd1089

Recruit
Thanks for the responses!
engine is 4 stroke.
plan to take prop to be fixed but thinking about options for a new primary prop after reading some of the raves about 4 blade on a skiff. Reccos?

as far as the engine alarm, if I start from 0, go full throttle down I have to pull back when I reach 5k rpms or I will feel vibration and then the alarm. Likewise, now I have to take wide, sweeping turns or i get the alarm. I cant throw my kids off of the tube anymore :)

alldodge

Staff member
If your tach is not accurate your 5K rpm may be higher and the rev limiter is going off.