Correct prop size

Kent cv

Recruit
Need some help do to getting different answers
i recently purchased a 2002 Bayliner 185 Capri with a 3.0 and alpha 1 drive. The prop is a 3 blade14 1/4 x 21 and the wot is around 5100 rpm.
I would like to replace it with a 4 blade prop and reduce my rpm to 4800.
Any recomendations on a prop size?

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBoats! :welcome:

The first order of business is to ensure the tach is reading correctly. It's surprising that a 3.0L could spin a 21" pitch prop to 5100 RPM unless the hub is spun.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume 5100 wot revs is what engine achieved at wot as loaded, right ? If so, which is the min-max wot rpm range factory stated for that engine ?

Happy Boating

Kent cv

Recruit
I am running at 5100 rpm with 4 people in boat and full tank of gas.
Per specs min rpm 4400 max rpm 4800.
I figured if I could get to down to 4800 should be good with 6 people on board

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe you should go to a 23p prop. Should drop your rpm by ~400 rpm.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Selecting a to prop for any applicationIt's all down to boating with a near fixed load or variable one, if with 4 passengers engine over revs + 300 wot rpm with six rpm should drop between middle to max wot rpm factory range.

Just for the record make a new wot test with 6 up and report wot rpm achieved to see whow much rpm drops with added load. The other issue is that if will be boating lightly, say with 2 up, engine will over rev real badly...

Happy Boating

Maclin

Admiral
All of this advice so far depends on a couple of things, 1.) Tach is accurate and 2.) Speed is from GPS or other accurate gauge. With the numbers you gave, you are at about 11% slip I think. The 21p you are running now may not be behaving like a 21, with that much slip, and allows the engine to rev higher but with loss of thrust up top.

For a no cost temporary-to-permanent solution, maybe just ease back on the throttle, since you are that close to optimum. Only saying that because you have only mentioned RPM's as the issue you want to address. You also have not specified what brand or material the current prop is. Or the condition.

How is the holeshot with this one? Do you tow tubes or skiers/wakeboarders? Is highest top speed attainable one of your goals?

So there is room for improvement, to get the slippage down, which will increase top speed some, and take some RPM's off the top. A 4blade with same to same brand and material in the same pitch would probably get you there. If you tow skiers then it is probably the next thing to try out.

If top speed is a goal then going with a more aggressive 3blade prop in same pitch is another approach. If the current prop is aluminum go to the same pitch in a stainless. If it is stainless, you may need to try a more aggressive prop like an Enertia or similar at that same pitch.

Good luck!

Kent cv

Recruit
Thanks for all the help as I am new to boating.
The speeds I was using was from the GPS.
I do not know how old the prop is the boat is a 2002
it is a aluminum prop that appears to be in fairly good shape except for one small chip 1/8” deep.
I would like to get out of the hole faster as I am pulling teenage kids skiing and wakeboarding, etc and figured a 4 blade prop would help with that. Not real concerned with loss of speed.
if their is an issue with my current prop would it be wise to try a 4 blade 14 x 19 from the 3 blade 14 x 21 I have on it now.
Thanks!

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
If you're looking for a better hole shot when pulling skiers, then don't go up in pitch. Stay the same or even lower and go to a 4 blade prop. Just don't go wot when not pulling skiers to keep the rpm's below max, or switch props when not pulling skiers. It would be nice to have a variable pitch prop, but I don't think they make them. I don't pull skiers.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The only was to know if current prop is in top shape is performing a hub slip test. When checking speed, should make 2 runs in opposite directions, add both runs and divide by 2, the final number is the real achieved MPH speed.

Normal recreational boating with passengers on deck is one thing, pulling water toys with added passengers weight is other story, more water drag that traduces in a slower hole shot. Much better is to pull toys, skier, with the least passengers on deck

Whichever new prop you go after will need to be tested on a new water trail, if not, expect theoretical answers..

Happy Boating