Emergency kicker engine

brags

Cadet
Will a 2.5 HP 4 stroke engine be able to get a (14 ft?) boat to shore in an emergency? Could I get away with an electric tiller motor? Or should I just rely on a set of oars or a tow? I am only boating in a lake.

This is the engine I am considering as my kicker...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0050T3DH8...&ascsubtag=10cc48e19f8e762b853b2a0f30fd1325_S

I have attached a photo of the boat I intend on using it with.

Attachments

• photo298751.jpg
    photo298751.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To use any under powered engine as an emergency kicker you must prop it right to rev at max wot rpm range factory stated, usually will require a much less pitch prop from medium pitch factory delivered. Wll need to install an induction tach for that purpose, go for a wot spin, check max achieved rpm and go from there maximizing a less pitch prop to pull wot revs up.

BTW, what's the current stamped numbers on prop ? To count with a kicker no matter how small is it, it's a zillion times much better than plain rowing...

Happy Boating

brags

Cadet
To use any under powered engine as an emergency kicker you must prop it right to rev at max wot rpm range factory stated, usually will require a much less pitch prop from medium pitch factory delivered. Wll need to install an induction tach for that purpose, go for a wot spin, check max achieved rpm and go from there maximizing a less pitch prop to pull wot revs up.

BTW, what's the current stamped numbers on prop ? To count with a kicker no matter how small is it, it's a zillion times much better than plain rowing...

Happy Boating

Thanks...I think this is what you are referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK__pqHFwMg

So should I tiebar the two engines together so they work in tandem or will the little kicker be able to steer the boat ok?

brags

Cadet
The guy has 2 threads going, not cool

Holy hall monitors batman...the first thread was about engines in a non-engine forum. I posted about the mistake and that it should be deleted...or they could move/merge it lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a 2.5hp kicker will push a 37 foot sailboat 3.5 miles with a light wind and normal out-going tide, it will push your little 14' boat just fine unless your dealing with a really large head-wind and current.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You combo has a main OB and want to add a kicker, right ? If using the kicker will need to pivot main out of the water to have the least water drag and kicker be more efficient while pushing provided that runs to max wot rpm range. Personally would install it to work separately from main one.

Happy Boating

brags

Cadet
Just updating...I will be mounting it separate to my main. I have decided I am definitely getting a kicker engine as I don't want to depend on paddling or a tow should my main engine fail.

Thanks