Damage just above the skeg

kaulbr

Seaman
About one week into owning a boat I did damage to the area just above the skeg. Was in shallow waters with a sandy/gravely bottom. I had the prop titled up but apparently not high enough for that area. I'm hoping this isn't a big deal. See attached for a few pictures. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo298599.jpg
    photo298599.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo298600.jpg
    photo298600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo298601.jpg
    photo298601.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
looks like just a deep scratch. If that's all it is don't worry about it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It looks like the prior owner did the same thing with the bolted on skeg guard.

Outboard or I/O? An I/O drive can only be trimmed up so far. if you tilted the motor, either OB or I/O, too high, you run the risk of eating the impeller and I/O's can eat u-joints. Something to be cautious of.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
after all of these years, I would probably not even found that until the season was over.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I wonder what surprise lurks under that skeg skin?

kaulbr

Seaman
I guess I just assumed that skeg guard was put on by the manufacturer. Didn't even think that it might be covering up some prior damage. I guess I should pop it off and take a look huh?

And I can't say for sure that that mark wasn't there when I bought the boat. I don't think I would have seen it. I was only looking that closely because I ran aground and was inspecting closely after that to see what damage I did. It looks like a pretty fresh gouge but I guess who knows.

kaulbr

Seaman
It looks like the prior owner did the same thing with the bolted on skeg guard.

Outboard or I/O? An I/O drive can only be trimmed up so far. if you tilted the motor, either OB or I/O, too high, you run the risk of eating the impeller and I/O's can eat u-joints. Something to be cautious of.

It's an I/O. What do you mean by "eating the impeller" and "eating a u-joint"?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the water intakes are exposed to air, the impeller may suffer damage. At high tilt angles, the double U-Joint(a type over constant velocity joint) has to contend with excessively large angles, in which worn/old u-joints may not be capable of doing.

kaulbr

Seaman
If the water intakes are exposed to air, the impeller may suffer damage. At high tilt angles, the double U-Joint(a type over constant velocity joint) has to contend with excessively large angles, in which worn/old u-joints may not be capable of doing.

Got it, thanks for the info.