Prop Help - What Pitch On SX-M?

Ryob

Cadet
What Pitch Prop to get?

I am looking for recommendations.

I have 1998 Four Winns RX (18 fret) with a 4.3 GL and a 1.79 Gear Ratio that blew a seal on my Penta SX-M and all my gears grinded.

I found an entire 1998 Four Wiins QX (17 Feet) with a blown 4.3 GL motor and a great SX-M outdrive , albeit a 1.66 Gear Ratio for $1200.

I purhased it and and am having it put in tomorrow.

Both props are in crappy shape and I am trying to figure out what pitch to get for a brand new prop.

could someone help with a recommendation? I am not sure how to calculate the pitch.

Thanks a lot!

Ryob

Cadet
am looking for recommendations.

I have 1998 Four Winns RX (18 fret) with a 4.3 GL and a 1.79 Gear Ratio that blew a seal on my Penta SX-M and all my gears grinded.

I found an entire 1998 Four Wiins QX (17 Feet) with a blown 4.3 GL motor and a great SX-M outdrive , albeit a 1.66 Gear Ratio for $1200.

I purhased it and and am having it put in tomorrow.

Both props are in crappy shape and I am trying to figure out what pitch to get for a brand new prop.

could someone help with a recommendation? I am not sure how to calculate the pitch.

Thanks a lot!

alldodge

Staff member
One of the many things that make VP (in my view) not appealing is the prop pitch designations. There basically is nothing that tell the regular guy what the pitch is. In any case need to find out the designations for your old props. Maybe F7 thru F something else.

Your going to a higher ratio so need to reduce pitch some from what you had before

Hey Scott Danforth can you help

Maclin

Admiral
Propellers for Volvo Penta single prop drives like the SX-M are all inches of pitch designations.

Not sure what prop you have or had before, but I would say you should definitely not go over a 19p with this new ratio, start with a pretty basic 17p (maybe a 19p) to see where you are at.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What Maclin said....SP props are in diameter and pitch